• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

utah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomd123

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have been drawn for the mule deer muzz tag in Utah for this fall////what scope should I use for a 150 yd shot?
my x bow has a scope with 3 dots that I can sight in at a distance for each dot...is there a similar scope for black powder rifle
since a scope with any magnification is not allowed?
what does anyone recommend for a scope?

A scope on a traditional muzzleloader ??? If ya need to shoot 150 yards your better off getting a tangsight, or a buckhorn rear sight and learn where to hold to that shot.

tom davis said:
//what scope should I use for a 150 yd shot?
my x bow has a scope with 3 dots that I can sight in at a distance for each dot..

What scope do you use to shoot 150 yards with your xbow??? ( :doh: Man I'm hoping your answer is "I don't shoot game at 150 yards with an xbow)
If so, you understand weapon limitation. Time to set the limits based on you & your gun. 150 yards be da....darned!

I'm in Colorado & have hunted Mule deer for about 30 seasons. Mostly with Center fire & a scope.

With a centerfire & a scope, at 150yds, I think I'd still want to Stock closer :idunno:

Don't know where you are (so this might be much harder for you to do then for I.) IMHO Go to the range & dial in your rifle & load. Then when you know what she likes, stand up off the bench & shoot 3 shots off hand at 6" paper plates starting at 25 yards. Get 3 good hits? Shoot 3 at the 30 yd plate off hand, etc. etc. When you get to a plate you can't put 3 into you have a max range (this can be extended with work on your part).

Now go out and do a woods walk with plates set out (by someone else) and try to learn how to walk to your range before you shoot.

Yes Sir, This is a Flintlock or Percussion only Forum only. We do not talk about your kind of guns here.

Tom Not pushing you away, it is just that this forum is traditional Only so we CAN'T talk about inlines here :idunno: If you are using powder (not pellets) & patched round ball there may still be much you can learn here. I hope you will forgive our being unable to help with the modern scopes & inline rifle.

I just read it. No powered scope allowed. You are allowed peep or open sights or a 1x or non powered scope. 100 or 150 yards is not really that far unless your eyes are bad and it should be doable without a scope. Most shots even in UT are under 100y.

Latest posts

Back