• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent liners as original equipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetucker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Speaking of late period (1815-1830) American flint rifles, were vent liners ever fairly common as original equipment on new made rifles?

I am of the opinion (and I hold it strongly), that vent liners, to the extent that they were used at all on colonial period American guns, were more likely to be a repair for a burned out straight vent than to have been used on new made barrels/guns.

I know European use goes way back, and I do not want to debate ignition speed. I was just wondering if they were ever much used on Golden Age longrifles.

And if so, what did they look like, what diameter, what material? I think the Chambers White Lightning is great, but I also think it is much too large in diameter compared to the few original liners that I have seen on old European flint arms. Can't much imagine a gold or platinum vent on an American rifle.

Thank you very much for your expert opinions.

Not to change the subject, but where are you at in North FL? Shoot me a private message.

Shumway's Rifles in Colonial America Vol. 1, rifle # 43 carries a very small gold vent liner. Too many 'what ifs' to determine whether it is original to the rifle at the time of construction but the lock is in awfully good shape and the exterior breech of the barrel is not terribly corroded. Something to think about.

Thank you very much Mr. Kettenburg.

I had never noticed the liner on RCA I/43. As you alluded, on a 230 year old rifle, even on in very nice condition, it is very hard to impossible to prove that the liner was not installed when the rifle was c. 20 years old. I buy your physical evidence, and prefer to believe that the liner is original.

I have no personal problem with vent liners. I think they speed ignition and are safe. I just don't think them at all proper for a traditionally styled colonial period American rifle. And ignition is still pretty darn quick with a straight vent of reasonable size.

I consider the bottom line with a gun designed to help the owner share the experiences of the 18th century shooter, is that the darned thing MUST go bang when the trigger is pulled. Meaning that the lock must generate adequate sparks to ignite the prime, and the prime, when ignited, MUST be expected to light the main charge. Anything less could mean starvation, violent death, or even worse; ridicule.

Accuracy was naturally important to a 18th century owner, but was of little practical use if the 1/16th inch vent gave intermittant ignition. The gun had to go off; if that meant the vent was 3/32" or larger to guarantee a bang, then it was.

Sure, gas was lost thru the larger vent. However, a .530 RB at 1350 fps instead of the same ball at 1750 fps will still take any beast or adversary east of the Appalachians.

Modern soldiers seldom carry magazines loaded to full capacity because it increases the likely hood of failure to feed. 24 rounds that can be relied on to fire are better than 30 rounds in a magazine that might. Then as now, the man who goes afield with his rifle and depends on it for survival must be able to rely on a bang when he pulls the trigger. Everything else is secondary.

Terribly sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant.

I am still interested in the preformance enhancing aspects that a period correct vent liner would give to a late period flint rifle, where the smaller typical caliber (.45 down to .36) would exaggerate the portion of the main charge that would vent thru a straight drilled vent that was large enough to give reliable ignition.

I've seen that little vent liner on 43, but never thought anything about it, simply assuming it was a later addition (like, MUCH later...). I did not know it was really gold. Has this gun perhaps been in England? The brass box could be considered supportive of this idea. It certainly is not the original box!

Latest posts

Back