• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vest pocket pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20240824_111143899_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240824_111207784_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240824_120858756_HDR~2.jpg
Here's today's flea market find. I have not shot it yet. Some that I have seen have the brand name on the RH side. Mine does not. As can be seen in the pics mine has a serial (?) number on the LH side, (hidden in my pics), as well as CL.31, and on the RH side there is Black Powder Only and Made in SPAIN. I'm thinking 10g of FFF powder, because
FFF is what I have, and hope the .310 round balls that I shoot in my .32 CVA squirrel rifle will work.

Last edited:
IMG_20240824_184251592_HDR.jpg

Here's the results of my shooting session. Shooting from ten paces, aiming at the center of the barcode. It shot right & high. About what I expected.
IMG_20240824_184306404_HDR.jpg

It would not pop these CCI caps. The old Remington caps in my first pic popped every time. If CCI caps are what's going to be available I hope they are better than this batch.
IMG_20240824_184327954_HDR.jpg

I was loading approximately 7-8g of the FFF powder. My only powder measure that went low enough was marked 5 and then 10 so I set it in between. I used no wads or patches, just powder & ball. Most of the 310 balls seemed to fit as they should, but I could tell some difference in the sizes in the bag. The charge actually seemed like more than enough. I was surprised at how loud it was and the amount of flame at the muzzle.
Overall I'm pleased with it. It is what is is supposed to be I suppose.

Last edited:
I think you could load it with powder, wad, and a bare ball. It won't have much long distance accuracy anyhow so why patch it? A fun gun for sure.
A patch on the ball will keep the ball secure on the powder for sure for years with no worries. A loose ball with a wad over the top has to be fired now and isn't safe to carry.
A patch will not do anything for accuracy on this little thing as the barrel is so short accuracy is not a thing.
But it doesn't matter as these were designed as gut guns, not target guns. You shoot the thing no further than 6' away and closer is better.

I'd load that pistol with 7-10 grains of 4f and a patched roundball. These little guns can handle a small load of 4f no problem and it'll give a little more umph behind the ball than 3f will.

nice pistol !!!!

looks like for a fun time.

could always carefully grind down a little of that 3F to 4F. I grind 2F down to whatever I need in a small marble mortar and pestle. small amounts at a time.

and before nay sayers chime in
........our forefathers sometimes only got cannon powder in the latest shippment of provisions........i have no doubt they did the same applying the same amount of warranted "caution."

camo

I have a .31 colt pocket revolver. The old .31s generally take .323-.330(#00 buck single pellet) soft lead ball with no patch. I load .323 swaged RB in my .31 revolver over 10-12 grains of 3F Goex.

We had one many years ago. Lots of fun. Gotta be careful. Will definitely remove any finger parts in front of the muzzle and, if I remember correctly, the nose of the hammer on ours rested on the capped nipple. Maybe not, it's been 30-40 years ago.

Latest posts

Back