• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vinegar stain (I know, I know)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 922

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Vinegar stain (or more accurately, reagent) has been discussed on this and other forums ad naseum. However, there's something I learned today that may be useful to the, probably, 1% who don't already know it.

I saw a turned bowl on a woodturning forum that was an attractive black with the slightest hint of brown. The craftsman described it as "ebonized cherry". I did a search for the technique of ebonizing wood and found the same solution (no pun intended) on several Internet sites.

A reagent was made by dropping a (washed) steel wool pad into a jar and covering it with grocery store vinegar. After a couple of days the solution could be painted on wood with high tannin, and the wood will immediately turn black due to the reaction of the iron with the wood. Oak, walnut and cherry work great. Maple will only darken due to low tannin but could be "enhanced" by first brushing on a very strong tea solution, which will increase the tannin.

I tried the idea and found that the steel wool, even after washing, did nothing to the vinegar. I replaced it with some old iron nails and the reaction was immediate. After two days I tried it on a piece of cherry and it turned much darker - but not black. Walnut turned black and chestnut turned coal black at once. I think, after a few more days the solution will be stronger and work well on the cherry.

I offer this idea for those of you making powder horns, horn boxes, or other accoutrements and want to define an area or detail. I plan to try it on future turned boxes, music boxes and the like. Probably works well on leather too.

Vinegaroon, has been used for centuries to blacken leather, vegetable tanned leather of course. Usually have to do it more than once to get a deep black. If you have been working with high tannin woods,the tannin on your hands will react with the vinegaroon, and blacken your hands. It will wear off after a few weeks.
Woody

Latest posts

Back