• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad and Bullet Lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I contacted DuroFelt recalling they carried mutton tallow so I could make more Gatofeo’s #1 lube. This was the email response I received this morning:

Hi Bob:

Yes, I am still out of stock on the Tallow. My supplier was a military wife but when her husband was transferred, she decided to be a stay at home mom.

Mutton is consumed in small quantities in the US so it is hard to find raw sheep fat. I was in India last Christmas after a 4-year hiatus due to the lock down and thought I would have better luck as mutton is consumed in large quantities. But I managed to only find 1 supplier who told me that raw sheep fat was sold to the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry so there was no interest in rending and packing the tallow like I wanted. I told him I will order 500 OR even 1,000 lbs in a calendar year but he was not swayed. So I jokingly told him to drop dead - he laughed and told me the raw sheep fat was picked up from the slaughter house and trucked to the pharmaceutical/cosmetics vendor so why would he go thru the hassle of rendering, cleaning it and packing it as small bars in seal proof packaging !!!!

So I am still looking but so far have not had any luck.

I can add your name to the list.

Sorry, this is the best answer I have at this time.

So it seems the time has come to find a good replacement. I brew beer and really enjoy making test batches to seek answers, seems it’s time to do that with both felt wad lubes as well as stiff bullet lubes.

I just bought some castor oil and rubbing alcohol to try a wad lube that was recommended. Not sure if it might contaminate the powder if loaded for an extended period of time though, a big no go for me.

So what reasonably priced, easy enough to make, long term reliable, and shelf stable recipes do you guys and gals have?

Back