• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut dye/ syrup and curly maple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you folks any experience with using walnut dye / syrup on curly maple?
What are your thoughts ?
I don't mind a dark color, but I also want the curl to show.
I've got a piece of scrap maple to experiment with.
But if anyone has firsthand experience, I'll appreciate any input.
Thank you,

Do you mean dye made from walnut hulls or a premade alchohol stock stain like Laurel Mountain?
The all natural stain will fade to a pinkish brown after exposier to the sun so you really have to experiment and plan ahead. The alcohol based stain does fade a bit but is pretty much color fast. I have used it with good results on many Maple stocks sometimes in conjunction with agua-fortus sometimes just the stain. Almost any stain will enhance the curl, which is made up of hard and not as hard alternating folds in the wood, the softer curl picks up more of the microscopic particles of stain.
Robin

Walnut hulls crushed and simmered in water will only slightly tint wood. It does add something that acid stain reacts to and gives a richer color.

Latest posts

Back