• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

want to buy a matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an early made John Buck Medieval matchlock that leaves we underwhelmed compared to my Jurgen Kreckle matchlock or a Leonard Day m/l musket. There was a builder out in Arizona that made a quality matchlock also, but I can't remember his name or find his website.

Granted, I only know of Mr Buck's work from 10 years ago and apparently his skills have improved (and even back then they were lights years ahead of anything I could have aspired to do). His prices were inexpensive, but he cut a lot of corners like using seamless tubing for barrels. His customers were offered upgrades like real proofed barrels for a nominal extra cost. With the extras Mr Bucks's prices were inline with Kreckle's, Day's and the AZ bulider's. Kreckle has stopped building muskets which were offered for sale from Dixie Gun Works and G Gedney Godwin. So my humble suggestion is to contact Mr Day, I feel he and his son are one of the premier builders in the US. One of the styles they offer a late pattern matchlock that's covertable to English dog lock. Mr Buck is a friend of the forum, and I a relative outsider, but that's my opinion comparing different builder's muskets when I was in an English Civil War re-enacting group for a number of years.

Yeh, I don't get it. I mean just how dead do you have to get yer game? 50 cal is just so effective. Why go so nuts?
And then to carry all that through he field? My shoulder is sore just thinking 'bout it.

One day, grasshopper, you will understand. 'Tis a perfect rabbit gun, the 2" bore. Lots of smoke and noise and a satisfying thump when your butt hits the ground. Whether or not you hit the bunny is of no consequence, for as the EMTs begin working on you, you begin to pray that the local blood bank has your type in sufficient quantity. And a full body cast is toasty warm in the late fall and early winter. Yep, these big bores are a lot of fun and a true man's gun! And the body cast, if carefully removed, can be painted with silver paint and used as armor at the next medieval fair. What fun. :rotf:

runnball said:
A 2" lead ball will weigh in at 1.712 lbs. Not exactly what I would want in a shoulder fired gun.

I can't help but think that he was referring to a 2 gauge gonne.

Some day I hope to build one of those 1" bore wall guns that TRS advertises (with a yoke to attach it to a post of course).

Bioprof,
Just make sure the post is seated deeply enough in the ground! Haw, Haaaw!
volatpluvia

I shoot a 12 gauge .730 round ball Northwest chief grade Trade Gun and it is a handful. Split my lip a couple of times til I learned to really grip it. It is only 6 lbs. Good luck I have shot match locks and they are really fun, I will get one someday. Elglide

I have a 5.5lbs 4gauge Blunderbuss made in Belgium.
I don't shoot 1" ball, but 2 oz of #6 shot kicks like the proverbial MULE!
I do love to shoot it with 75grns of FFG and 1 1/2oz of shot.

Back