• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was able to donate a Doe to a needy family today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Front cleared through and temps dropped sharply...sat the Oak flat at 2:30pm...caught movement at 4:15pm from a Doe that had come in from the clear-cut, head down looking for an acorn.
When she got into the clear I whistled, she stopped and raised her head, and I shot her straight in the neck front at 40yds, dropped dead in her tracks. This .54cal smoothbore Virginia is an excellent deer gun, and an excellent testimony to Chambers / Rice / Davis / TVM.

This Doe is the 4th deer I’ve dropped off to that same needy family...also, suspecting that they might have limited knives and probably no way to sharpen them, I took along a used electric knife sharpener I no longer needed, gave it to them and they were delighted to get it...so a good hunting trip today all the way around.

003cropped.jpg

Lured another one in with that beautiful smoothy and shot it while it was distracted, nice :thumbsup: . Good thinkin on the knife sharpener too. :hatsoff: .

steve

are you in need of a gun barrer? camp cook? bartender perhaps?? I have been known to drag deer long distances for free :>)

Nice going we don't hear enough about the good hunters do. I will make a point of sharing this story with the other teachers and students. Our school distributes food items for a larger regional food bank and I often see ground "wild game" freezer packs in their food crates. I do not know if the students who receive the food know this. When I get a deer they say "wow I would like to try some deer meat"

When I meet people who have dull knives, I either take my stones to their place, and sharpen the knives, or I ask them to let me sharpen a few of their knives, and then return them, and sharpen the rest on a second trip. That leaves them with sharp knives from my first effort on. People ask me to resharpen their knives annually, now. Some are in worse shape than others, of course, depending on which ones they use- and misuse-- the most! :shocked2: :hatsoff:

The main family I drop them off to is a country woman well into her 50s...she cuts out the tenderloins/backstraps herself, and then a butcher she knows grinds the rest up into sausage and 50/50 mixes with fatty hamburger, and they split that.

Getting connected with a couple of local needy families and helping them out just a little bit without coming across as taking pity on them is a good thing...makes the whole hunting experience/season all the better.

The direct donation to the recipients is good especially with processors wanting you to pay for part of the processing and most importantly most of the meat would get harvested from the animal. Some won't go to the labor of boning out the ribs.

Back