• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washing Pillow Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do I need to wash before I use and why.Also can someone tell me something thinner I can try the pt seems kinda tight.

From my reading here it seems most guys wash it. I don't. Some say that removing the factory sizing by washing allows the lube to saturate the patch more easily. But I haven't has any problems in that regard. It's easy enough to try it both ways and see what you like.

The JoAnn's fabric shop near me has some denim that's thinner than pillow tick.

I have tried it both ways. I dont see a differnce either way. As for your patch being too tight are you precutting them? Maybe try cutting them a little smaller or try cutting them at the muzzle.
For .45 and .50 caliber I have had good luck with having my patches around the size of a quarter. I cut at the muzzle now so I dont worry about precutting patches the right size anymore.

I wash mine and dry twice and it mics out at .22 average. Two yards gives about 1650 patches........

Works for me.

I have been shooting it for 35 years & have never washed it & it works fine for me. Only one bolt I have could possibly stand it, as it is really stiff. But most of it I have bought is really flexible & have had no need to wash it, I just grease it & go with it.
When I find one I like I always buy the entire bolt, as it is sized to irregular to count on coming back to the same thickness each time.

Keith Lisle

I wash and then dry outside. And as said, bring your micrmeter as some ticking is thinner than others. The bolt at my Jo-Anns where I get mine is measureing .22, might be back to buy the rest of the bolt (if it's not gone). next time I'm in the neighborhood. I find it soaks up lube better if washed.

I wash because I want to use pure material, not something soaked with unknown 'stuff'.
I literally take a micrometer with me to Wal-Mart when searching for a new patch cloth. I look for material that seems like it would make good patching, check to see it is pure cotton, then measure. Ladies give me funny looks when I do the micrometer thing :blah: , especially when I also pick out some baby blanket flannel to make into cleaning patches. :wink:

You will just have to take a mic and measure. Ticking can run from .022 to .013 depending on thread and how the loom is set. Deniums usually run heavier than ticking but not always. :idunno: :idunno:

Back