• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We have a deer population problem.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Yes, we have a deer population problem...over-population. Not only was legislation passed for this year which adds unlimited does tags, it also created an "urban deer season". For a few weeks after the normal season closes, bow hunters will to be able to hunt inside city[url] limits...in[/url] housing subdivisions, etc...but each city has to vote to allow it in their city or not.

Should be interesting...I think the first time a doe runs out of some back woods onto a front lawn where little Joey and Sally are playing, and drops dead with a broadhead sticking out of it, that will put an end to it in that part of town quickly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar situation here. In Ct, archers have almost 5 months to hunt. Generous limit depending what part of the state you're in.
Ct bag limit
There's no minimum acreage requirement for bowhunting. I've often wondered about the deer dropping under the kid's swingset too.

RB, the latter part of your post is a sad comment on the state of suburban/urban society in the USA.

When I grew up if that happened I'd be running inside the house, to get a knife to start cleaning hoping for tenderloins for supper. This was long before Columbine when we REGULARLY brought guns to school, so we could hunt on the way home...........

Our local newspaper also used to list the successful hunters in the sporting section each week, no more.

The same people who are anti-hunting are the same ones who complain about Lyme disease, their shrubbery/flowers getting eaten (we used to worry about our vegtable garden instead), and want to turn back the 2nd ammendment.

We posted our land years ago when 2nd home owners and their kids started using our land like it was a public park. Left all sorts of garbage, cut down trees, etc......

One day one of the 2nd home owners (I did not know) was coming through our property on cross country skis, with her dog. I was hunting in my "pumpkin suit", oblivious to me she went right past until her dog came over to say Hi. She then spat out, "What are YOU doing here this land is posted". "Yep lady, if you took the time to read the signs it is posted for TRESSPASSING, at the bottom of each sign is my name and address, what are YOU doing here with your dog on MY property......"

Our long time neighbors also ended up posting their lands, we still keep an eye out for each others interests. They hunt my land and I hunt theirs. If we see someone we don't know hunting (without permision), cutting down trees, etc...........they are asked to leave. That's our "neighborhood watch".

The doe tags are paying off for me...I live in the Piedmont where we get 2 buck tags...I also hunt our farms down east where we can kill 4 bucks...Since we grow crops down east, I use my doe tags down east and end up passing on bucks here unless I see a good shooter...

I have already killed 2 does in the Piedmont that I would have let walk in the[url] past..In[/url] addition I have picked up 2 more doe tags to replace the ones I've used...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back