• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedges Keys from right to left only?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenHawken

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a left handed hawken and it would look better with the wedge keys going in from the left side (side the lock is on). Are they typically fit from the right side only? Would I damage anything putting them in from the opposite side?

StevenHawken said:
I have a left handed hawken and it would look better with the wedge keys going in from the left side (side the lock is on). Are they typically fit from the right side only? Would I damage anything putting them in from the opposite side?
They can go in from either side...whatever you like best.

It is simply a matter of personal choice which way they go in. Some guns are "fitted" from one side and if you switch sides a slight "bend "of the wedge may b e necessary to ensure a snug fit. Turning a wedge "upside down " will have more effect than switching the direction of the wedge. On guns that have a heavily tapered wedge you may have to do a little "refitting" when reversing dirrection solely due to the taper. :idunno:

On my Mountain Rifle, I put one in each direction. Keeps people guessing :wink:
Actually that is just the way they will stay in position best.

No damage.
But, there are advocates for left and advocate for right.
I am a 'right' side only advocate. Dunno why, it jest seems like that is the way it should be to me.
However, a cautionary note: On custom built rifles do pay attention to which side the key or pin was placed by the original builder. Trying to remove from the wrong side can result in damage.
I know. An unauthorized person removed some pins I had hand tapered from the left side when I had installed from the right. He buggered up the lug holes and tore wood from the left side of the stock. :cursing: He was a disabled Viet Nam war vet, for that reason he escaped my tearing his throat out with my bare hands.

Steven,
The English tradition is that the keys go in from the side opposite the lock. They were usually retained by a pin so you could not remove them completely from the stock. The Hawken brothers don't seem to have a similar tradition. Keys on their guns enter from either side of the stock. Functionally, it makes no difference.

dave

Left to right or right to left on most rifles won't make any difference.My GPR instructions say to install from R to L but in actuality there is no difference. It also says there are 2 different wedges a front and rear but either one works in either position. Go Figure. FRJ

Absolute consistency is neccessary to bp accuracy. ALWAYS use wedge in the same direction. :>)

StevenHawken said:

If I were shooting left handed, I would put them in right to left so the pins are not sticking you in the palm of your hand. I shoot right handed and put mine in left to right.

i've heard it said to put'em in on the side with the lock as it looks a bit better. that's probably why most are right to left, too many people out there shootin' on the wrong side :rotf: . but that's just the opinion of this old lefty. have a good'en neighbors, bubba.

Back