• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weld or Solder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently drilled & tapped a 8x32 hole in my barrel so that I could eliminate possible drifting of a 6" rear sight that I made for my Pedersoli Blueridge Rifle. Is it safe to mig this hole shut so that I can file it down and reblue, or is there a solder that I can fill it in with that will take blueing?

Thanks Mark

Ever consider putting in one of the thread screws they sell for this? The higher the heat you use to fill that hole the higher the risk of damaging the barrel.

Brownells sells the screws I'm talking about. You have to look closely to even know it is there. :hatsoff:

Mig wire might not blue to well. I would plug it with a screw, cut it off pean it with a hammer and file it flat. A screw should blue up well.
Lehigh...

I fixed a hole in a lock face with tig and it will not take the blue .
your best bet is to put in a screw and buff it smooth, then blue .
no more hole

Back