• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well I bought another one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I wandered into walmart tonight and they just happened to have a new shipment of CVA Bobcats in so I just had to buy one....Makes 3 now.

This one has a rubber coated flexible ramrod.

What a deal.

Blackfoot,
If it's none of my business,I understand, but would you say what you paid for
your Bobcat in Minnesota?
snake-eyes :hmm:

Can't say I blame you folks for buying up these rifles at that price, but I'm hoping that some of the newcomers to black powder are buying them too.

It's low cost, simple guns like these that hook the folks who have never even thought about buying an old fashioned black powder gun. Once they do, and hear the boom and smell the smoke of our history they are ours!!! Boooahahahaha. :)

zonie :)

Zonie, you don't even know how true that is :) That rifle is making many Americans experience bp for the first time ever. It is also accurate so the new user is not discouraged by the experience.

Pittsburghunter said:
Zonie, you don't even know how true that is :) That rifle is making many Americans experience bp for the first time ever. It is also accurate so the new user is not discouraged by the experience.
And when they grow out of it they can pass it on to another future ML shooter. :grin:

You guys should buy these up and make them available to forum members.

James

longhair,
That is a very good price to get
someone involved in B/P. I can even see buying
a few up and donating them and some time to
a Boy Scout troop or other youth group.
snake-eyes :hmm:

CVA Bobcat started me into M/L. First I check out websites for Sidelock ... Yikes $$$$$$. Wanted a M/L for hunting, even thought about getting an inline for around $150.00 ... than I walked into Wal-Mart and saw the Bobcat ... and the rest is history. That Bobcat is my son's now; but, I still love that gun! Never forget your first M/L.

Ok, here's the deal on the bobcats....

CVA no longer makes them, unless they made a major corporate decision change that I'm not aware of in the last three months or so. CVA was bought out by a company named blackpowder inc, and like so many other manufacturers, they've decided to use a shortsighted approach, seeing the high dollar profits per item available by producing inlines....

Shortsighted because, only like a hundred other manufacturers also offer inlines, and they're competing against all those other manufacturers. Seems to me they would think a little about profit in volume rather then per item. Uhh, hellooo... that's how walmart originally became so powerful in the first place? VOLUME of sales, not profit per item. But we live in the world of screw the other guy, and so its all about how much you can charge for whatever your selling, even garage sales and flea markets are pretty much a waste of time.

True, most Americans want inlines, and blah blah blah... but then again (and yes, I'm biased) alot of Americans today are either A. Uneducated/uninformed or B. just don't think

I viewed the bobcat offering as a public service to the muzzleloading community, and actually to Americans as a whole. For 60$ you can have an honest to goodness firearm, admittedly primative, but probably as good or better then what many of our ancestors used to protect life and limb and put meet on the table.

Anyway, back to the situation. Walmart in April closed up alot of their Gun counters in urban settings, and so forth... in fact, there are some articles still circulating out on the Internet that estimate Walmart has reduced their gun selling stores by a third. I suspect that what you're finding are Bobcats that were in the backrooms of Walmarts and Walmart warehouses (although they don't have many) that have now been shipped to other stores for sale, especially now that Muzzleloading season is approaching.

Do yourself a favor and get a Bobcat. You can't beat them for the price, they're cheap and they work and you could always loan/sell/give it to a friend later. Heck, some carpetbaggers are disasembling them and selling the parts on EBAY (which really ticks me off) and some mail order outfits sell them for over 100$ a piece (which also really ticks me off). But we're not going to change the system, so be sure you get yours. I'm thinking about getting another one myself, although I think I now have like 6...

Blackfoot said:
They all cost me $59.99

For that price, I wish our local Walmarts had them. I'd pick up a couple as loaners at the range. I can hardly get any time on my own guns because other people are always shooting them!

Of course, I'm guessing but I think the vary fact that the Bobcat has the plastic stock works in the favor of getting folks out to shoot it.

Back when CVA offered their "Hawken" and "Frontier", which were both wood stocked, a lot of people hung them on the wall as decorations! I doubt that anyone would hang a plastic stocked sidelock on the wall and tell people "Yup! The Pilgrims used guns that looked just like that!"

It is too bad we can't talk directly to the heads of some of the companies who could produce guns like the Bobcat.
IMO, building guns like that builds a market for future sales. A good example of this is the Honda 50 sold back in the early '60s.
People bought them because they were inexpensive and soon wanted something bigger. Speaking for myself, one of those little Honda 50s led to over 38 years of motercycling for me. :)

zonie :)

I wish our Wal Marts here carried them. I ended up buying a traditions deerhunter in .32 off their website for $139. Blue barrel, syn stock, plastic sights. Heck of a shooter. My dad and I shot it a few weekends ago and he really liked it.

If I run across any bobcats I'll buy one.

Scott

I think those Frontiers were smoothbores, which is why a lot of folks used 'em for mantle hangers. :rotf:

Well, the one i jst got on an auction was. I thought it was a .50 cal rifle. Now i need to find someone that wants a .50 cal SMOOTHBORE. Guy that sold it doesn't want it back it seems, and the shipping both ways would put me into it too much to send back anyway. Ohh well, live and learn.

Rebel I didn't know they made a smooth bore in that caliber can I ask what you paid or what you'd take for it ?

Back