• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Went out after work...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The cherubs were busy at the main house watching a movie that they exclaimed was the worst thing they had ever been made to watch. I told them they will have a quiz on it tommorrow morning. I left to go to my office where I donned my hunting attire. I left the back way and scootted out to my truck and headed off to a spot that I have permission to hunt in the Bay State.

I was a bit hesitant to go since hunting there with the shotgun I had two idiots drive by my location. So much for the peace and serenity of the forest.

Most of the lowlands are flooded with the heavy rains we obtained and I summized that this one spot will be at least dry for the deer. It is loaded with white pines of all sizes thus a potential refuge.

I stop at my friend's driveway and get out.I strap on my safety harness, belt bag and day pack. I grab my muzzleloading carbine and head westward across his field to the pine grove. As I crossed a small drainage I see something in the field. Tracks. The landscape is covered with a thin layer of compacted granular snow and ice of about one half inch. It reminds me of the icing on a ginger cookie. I see where the deer have been coming out of the white pine grove adjacent to a group of homes. I wonder if these commuters realize the deer had taken refuge near their homes? I wonder if they know that someone clad in orange is hunting them,albeit at the legal distance from their homes? I suppose they have no clue and in a way that is a good thing. What they don't know won't hurt them.

I cross the icy stone wall and look at the tracks. I summize that the four deer that were here before the season are still here. I have a feeling of elation at the knowledge some slob truck hunter didn't get any of them. Sorry but you have to work for them. I guess that is a word that is not in some people's lexicon.

I walk down the hill and then down the old abandoned railroad bed. The action of man has created a small stream. I was listening to the crackling of the icy forest floor and then thought about the stream. Maybe next week I will don my hip boots and walk into the woods via the stream to counteract any noise I make. Who knows if it will work.

I walk further and spot a set of tracks that head down to my ladder stand. By this time I cock the hammer back and put a flanged musket cap on the nipple. I carefully lower the hammer on half cock and proceed westward. I then take a turn north and downhill. Through the mixed woods of maple,oak and white pine I find my ladder stand. It sits between the old railroad bed and another stream to the north of me. I am bracketed by these topographic features with the hope that the deer use these as a travel way.

I climb up the ladder very carefully. We had some icing and I don't want to slip and fall fifteen feet on the hard forest floor. I see that the cushion seat has a layer of ice on it that needs removal. Unfortunately the seat is somewhat soaked. I turned it upside down where it is less wet. Needless to say after I sit the water has migrated to my back side. Even though I wear Statix X long underwear and polarfleece pants, a wet rear end is still a wet rear end.

I have learned to ignore some of the minor discomforts. I thought back to the early hunts with my father. How he pushed me a bit when it got cold and uncomfortable. Life isn't always sunny and there is an old Arab proverb," All sunshine makes for a desert." Sometimes you need to face the elements. I also thought about the young men I work with and how bereft many have been not to have a real father in their lives. I often hear some complain how cold it is outside or they are bored. I hate to say it but they needed a real man in their life for guidance and to learn what a man is.

I'll confess that when I am on my stand I will sometimes pray. I feel more close to God in a treestand overlooking the beauty of nature than I do in Church on Sunday morning. I sometimes ask for favors or to releive some things that I think is suffering. I also give thanks for many gifts as well. I suppose it balances out in the long run.

I look around me and see the lay of the land. I feel the wind blowing on my face. It has a chill as my nose is running a bit. I feel the cold air in my throat and lungs. It is refreshing and exhilarating at the same time. I hear the rushing water of the stream to the north of me. I suspect that the deer walk near its edge as a means of maintaining cover. I keep glancing towards that spot from time to time.

Every twenty minutes I would blow three times on a doe estrous bleat. I have some dim hope that there is a buck and somehow the second rut may still be in existance. This activity helps pass the time away as I sit looking for the deer. I remember this spot in November when hunting with the bow and arrow. I thought I would have taken a deer but it wasn't meant to be. Shotgun was a washout with Dad's medical issues and what seemed to be a situation where the deer changed their habits completely. This will be a tough year.

The forest floor is covered in nature's icing. It deceptively reflects light well past the legal shooting time. I am tempted to hunt beyond it but then I realize that I would be a hypocrite if I were to do so.

I descend from my perch, unsuccessful but rewarded.

Hello,

a nice story! Don't mind about seeing nothing. A day outside is better as a day at work.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I too went out for the afternoon hunt yesterday in Mass. A lot of crunchy ice so any kind of walking/stalking was noisy as hell! Went to my same spot overlooking a creek-bed. Nice sunny afternoon, saw some squirrels and a nice fat hawk. No deer or tracks though, but it was great just to be out.

Good post. I enjoyed that.

I've been out about 14 - 16 days so far this deer season, but have only seen 4 or 5 does. I probably could have taken one, legally, but at that time I chose to let her walk.
Yesterday, I went to an area that I had not been to since last spring turkey season. It is on the South side of the Ocoee River, on the flank of Big Frog Mountain.
A light drizzle or misty rain was falling. We have had a solid week of rain. The ground is saturated, and the brooks are full to the brim with roaring whitewater. I figured that conditions were about perfect for slowly still hunting along the ridges.
As I pussyfooted along the ridge I came upon a series of buck rubs. My mountainman friend calls them "horn bushes". Then I found a rain washed scrape. Then another. Then more. Some buck has been real busy working that ridge!
All morning I slowly moved along the ridge. A contrary wind swirled about, first hitting me in the face, then swinging around and coming at me from behind, then back to fanning my face again. There was no way that I could plan my hunt by the wind direction. I just followed along slightly below the crest of the ridge.
By noon I had reached the end where it drops off steeply down to a rhododendron and hemlock choked creek bottom. I sat on a log there at the end of the ridge, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
A misty rain continued to fall as I looked out over miles of heavily forested mountains. Gray clouds drifted, hiding the higher peaks. Mist filled the gorges and ravines below me. Beautiful.
I was on the rim of a hidden little valley called "Turkey Pen Cove". Sometime in the past, before the government declared this place a national forest, there had been a small mountain farm there. The government had forced every one out of these mountain hollows, buying out families who had lived here since the Cherokees had been run out in 1838.
I finished my lunch and descended the ridge, down into the green rhododendron jungle along the creek. I crawled over and ducked under knurled, twisted branches. I crossed the steam on a fallen log, and made my way deeper into Turkey Pen Cove.
I came upon the old farm site. Nothing remains but a stone foundation and a few pieces of small, broken cement gutter or trough that I guess might have either brought water from the brook to the barn, or else was a drain from the barn.
My attention was drawn to a speck of blue glass mostly hidden in the leaf litter of the forest floor. I pulled it out. A small, blue medicine bottle, embossed with, "Milk of Magnesia, The Chas. H. Phillips Chemical Co., Glenbrook, Conn." Huh? Makes me wonder how a bottle from Connecticut ended up in a backwoods valley in Southern Appalachia, and how many years had it been laying here?
I found the overgrown wagon road that had once connected this poor mountain farm with the outside world, and followed it out of the valley. Circling back along the base of the ridge, I returned to my truck.
I had seen no deer, but I had a good time in the mountains, had a wonderful view of some gorgeous, though wet, countryside, found an old bottle, and I also picked up and brought home a fist size chunk of white quartz that had caught my interest.
Today, the rain continues. Tomorrow the weathermen predict that temperatures will plunge into the 20's. It would be nice to have a white Christmas again.

My mother was taking " Milk of Magnesia" when she was a little girl in the 1920s, and I believe the company was doing business long before that. If you take your bottle to some of the Glass Experts, they can usually tell from the color, and casting lines, when the bottle was made. YOu can also contact the company and ask them about the age of the bottle. There are collectors of the bottle, because of its rich blue color.

Season ends here Tuesday, so I'll be out Monday and Tuesday.
Supposed to be bitterly cold with 45 mph winds on Monday.
Think I'll use the .54 WMC Shorty gun and poke around the thick stuff and hopefully jump one.
With that kind of weather, they should be hunkered down in the laurel or pines. Their hearing should be all screwed up with the high winds too. :hmm:

Back