• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

West Virginia Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This gun belongs to a friend. I would like to find out more information about it, specifically the maker. I have heard that there was a builder named "Benson" in the Cranberry area, but it looks like "E W" in script on the barrel.

Does anyone have any ideas about this gun?

Barrel length: 38 7/8"
Across the flats: 15/16"
Caliber: about .36
Overall length: 54 3/8"
Nosecap: 1 9/16"
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/far1955/library/West Virginia Gun

Thank you,
Roland

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting rifle.

There were at least four "Benson" gunsmiths in Preston Co., probably father/son/nephew etc covering the period of between about 1800 and 1909.

Cranberry would fall in Raleigh Co (??). I do have some listings of W.Va gunsmiths but nothing at all with the initials carved in the barrel.

Although a little obscured, to me the lock looks to be a G Golcher (George W Golcher? sometimes spelled Goulcher) - one of the "clan", most noted for his lock making and some rifle building.

If so that would date (at least the lock), at the earliest in the 1850's - George continued working well into the late 1890's.

1850's would also be in keeping with the smaller caliber and the severe crescent of the butt plate.

Someone can chime in here because I don't know for a fact but seems like the beaver tail cheek piece would also be a "later" feature.

Despite being a full-stock, which may tend to be indicative of an earlier date, the lock was most certainly "never" a flint (no visible evidence of being a conversion), and while it could have been a total replacement there is no evidence on the side plate side that a second lock bolt was ever installed, which could have supported a conversion at some point.

So not impossible that it was ever flint, just no "glaring" evidence that it was ever converted.

All in a all just looks to be a "nice" percussion model built sometime in the 1850's or later by a builder that did not leave a prolific legacy.

Of course, the barrel may have simply come from a barrel maker in Cranberry and the rifle could have been built just about anywhere.

P.S. didn't check my US history - since West Virginia didn't become a state until 1863, that may certainly date the rifle a little further to post 1863 (did W.Va go by West Virginia before the end of the Civil War???? - Canuck here, help me out
:grin: )

West Virginia didn't become a state until June 20th, 1863. The town of Cranberry is in Raleigh county, but the Cranberry (Glades) area is in Pocahontas county.

there are two builders named Benson listed at AMERICANLONGRIFLES .COM

one is Ezra Benson
the article says Ezra practiced his trade in Terra Alta West Virginia in 1870's, but he originated from Cranberry Summit which is located in Preston county West Virginia.....

this website shows a very nice Ebony rifle by Ezra.
Ezra D. Benson was a son of James and Sara Benson of Cranberry Summit (now Terra Alta),Preston Co., W. Virginia. Ezra was born Aug.12,1836 and died on July 13 1909.

Roland - E.D. Stands for Ezra Darby Benson. He was in the Terra Alta (Cranberry Summit) area of (at the time Virgina before it became) WV. My 3rd great grandfather was Ezra’s nephew (if memory serves me correctly). Your friend that owns this rifle is he related to the Bensons or just fortunate enough to find one for sale??

Back