• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western Oregon Blacktail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilovich

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I drew a Western Oregon muzzleloader deer tag this year. It’s good for a buck or doe in several areas around the state a week at a time or along the valley floor on mostly private land for about three months. There’s a big lake and waterfowling area with some dense ash groves on the edges about 15 minutes from my house that is huntable. It’s nice because I can go out in the morning and still be at work before too much happens. I’ve never seen anything but does there. I’ve found a good spot to sit where some trails weave together. All of the activity in this spot happens within an hour after sunrise. It’s very thick. A long shot would be about 40 yds. Great place for a tree stand if you were inclined to climb trees. Last time I drew this tag a few years ago I got a doe out there. I started going out the last week in October intending to shoot the first deer I saw. First day out I saw a buck. He chased some does that ran in front of me and he took the trail behind the tree I was leaned up against. No shot. So I decided that I would hold out and see if I could get a buck. For the next week or so I saw does. After a few more outings seeing a doe or two I wasn’t seeing anything. I started to get worried that I’d blown it. Heading into the last week of the hunt I was pretty discouraged I went out the Tuesday morning prior to Thanksgiving, got to my spot at about 6:00 and waited for sun up. 7:30 and nothing. I decided to give it 15 more and then head to the office. Just then I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye. All I could see was his head and he was going on a trail that would not take him past me according to plan. I had one window through a fork in a tree that I might get a shot. His head passed through that and he stopped. I could see his neck in the gap and I shot. I was listening for him to run while waiting for the smoke to clear but there was nothing. When the smoke did clear I stood up and could see him piled up right where I shot him. It was about 25 yds from where I was sitting. He was skinned and hanging in the garage and I was at work by 11:00. Not a bad morning out. http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/srm66/media/Deer2014_zpsbe710ecb.jpg.html?o=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Sincere congratulations! Those coastal blacktails are as tough to hunt as any deer I've hunted. They don't pattern, and they love the thick stuff. Great account of a great hunt. Takes me a long ways back to my good old days. Thanks!

Thought I would post your photo for those having a hard time with photobucket

Good tale :thumbsup: real sad twist there at the end "I was at work by 11:00." :( almost made me cry.....

:rotf:

Well done and congrats, that was an excellent shot, sounds like you severed the spine making for an instant kill - thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Thanks guys and a big thanks to Sean for putting my picture on the post. Rifle is a Pacific Rifle Zephyr.62 cal. It's a great hunting rifle especially here in Western Oregon where it rains occasionally. And Sean you are right about the sad part of the story being at work by 11! Not sure what I was thinking there. Even my boss asked why I didn't stay home.

Well I don't know much about Blacktail Deer but sure looks like a nice one to me taken with nice looking rifle wow 62 cal!
The more pics I see of these underhammers the more I think build one.

While I have never seen a black tail, that is certainly a nice deer, congratulations. You are a fortunate man to have such a good place to hunt, so close to your home, and a job with flexible hours. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
nice deer, when i get a kill before work it sure makes for a workday where no one can say or do anything to make me feel bad. but it sure makes for a long day wanting to get back to them antlers. i usually run the battery down on my cell phone camera just looking at the pictures and showing it off.

Latest posts

Back