• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western Wall WMA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater John

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Oklahoma anually offers drawings for controlled hunts and in July I recieved notice of successfully being selected for a 2 day primitive doe tag,Nov.10&11.

The area is located adjacent to the Tall Grass Paririe Preserve in Osage County, Okla. in the last of the virgin Tall Grass areas of this country. Having been spared the plow this Preserve is as our founding fathers witnessed it, Bison included. Although not necessarilly a coveted hunt to many, only 30 tags are issued so the hunt area won't be crowded.

Time constrains only allowed one scouting trip but that provided the information along with topo's to determine likely wooded drainages and draws for a successful hunt.

Having a large family, 5 kids, plans are often prone to changes and opening morning would be no exception. The 2 hr drive and check-in put me on site at 8:00 am. As I knew the best of the easiest to get to locations would be picked over, I planned to hunt the eastern drainage which required a long walk but no one was located there within a mile. Seem to be the only choice...

We wonder if we'll see fall this year, warm temperatures later than usual and dry, again. Last week we did finally get some hard frost especially north near the Kansas border, enough to hammer the folliage so it doesn't look like sept.Except the Elm trees are fighting to hold on.

The walk from my parked vehicle was along a closed service road, 1/2 mile.Then I dropped down a drainage to the tree line. There was enough seep that the creek had a slow flow and pools of clear water that meet a larger stream farther below; as I said, drainage basins,beautiful land!
Right away I see this area is HOT. Worn trails, fresh sign. No time to look for rubs. I'm hoping I'm not too late.

Its an hour and 20 mins. since I signed in and I've setup in a cluster of oaks 4-6" dia., trail behind me to the west with a south east wind that gust at one time enough to rain leaves. I won't be able to hear a thing. Focusing to the north east through 20 yds. of woods, then creek clearing and tree line beyond, I'm within 60 yds. of range...

Swamp Rat said:
Nice! Rub a lil that bear fat on yer patches for good luck durin the hunt. :grin: :thumbsup:

NO DOUBT! You proved that,Congratulations

OK, I'll get this yawn :snore: down to the 99 yard line.

Without getting really settled in for whats left of the morning much less catching my breath, I check movement over my right shoulder. Deer already and a large animal too. Thought it a buck, traveling down wind on the trail behind me.
30 yds. out I see a slick head and bring myself around and ready. She keeps slowly stopping and starting along until I feel shes going into the scent cone but she pauses once more...

I hunt to get close and as she stopped the last time with her head shielded from my direction, I followed her leg to the shoulder, find the sights, then squeeze.

45 cal. 255 gr. maxi hunter, 85 grains FFFg go through both scapulas and lodge under the skin. From 18 paces she goes down instantly, no kick, doesn't so much as flick an ear. Standing up I know there is no need to reload, then within 10 seconds I hear her death moan. She field dressed at 103 lbs. and was 5 1/2 yrs. old.

You could assume this was my first deer and if it hadn't been for shooting a 8 pointer 21 yrs. ago with a rifle, she would be. This doe is my first with a side lock. She was hunted honestly and fairly and I outfoxed her.

Pictures...tomorrow

Rusty

How did you get that deer done so fast? I got home sat. evening and started at 5:00 and finished boning this doe out at 10:00 on the dot.I was beat, but then I never mentioned dragging her out!

Rusty

Pict0431.jpg

Cougar Kill in Oklahoma

Pict0433.jpg

First BP deer, 103 lbs. field dress, 5 1/2 year old

Pict0441.jpg

45 caliber, 85 grains FFFg

Rusty

Back