• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet weather again.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well considereing we survived a series of serious floods and heavy rains (try 7 inches in 3 hours) and I now live in a Federal Disater area i've been think about how reliable the flinter is in wet weather.
Now trust me on this...I'm NOT going hunting in the weather we had last week, not without a boat, but to say it's damp outside is an understatement.
I just read on this link http://members.aye.net/~bspen/flintlockfaq.html
That black powder is NOT hygroscopic, that is, it will NOT draw moisture from the air.
This seems true as I was shooting last month in very humid weather, 90%, and even though water beads formed on the frizzen, the thing went "boom" right now anyway.
It seems the salts from buring black IS hygroscopic, but that should not interfere with ignition.
Besides the much heralded "cowsknee" how do you dedicated flinters hunt in wet weather and feel confident of click-boom instead of click awe manure!

I'm not a very active shooter (the shop keeps me way too busy ::) and rainy days are definitely not in my plans. However, my shooters up in Washington State would suggest several locks that are out on the market that have waterproof pans. Basically the pan has a raised lip that fits into a concave hollow in the frizzen, thus preventing water from entering the pan. This feature is also helpful when doing hunts from horseback. If you're shooting a lot in rainy weather you could modify your pan and frizzen to have the same characteristics. :m2c:

Alittle wax or grease applied around the perimeter of the pan works wonders especially if used in conjunction with a well oiled and fitted cows knee :m2c:

I don't intentionally hunt in the rain...that's why they make electric blankets
::

I've been caught in a light shower a couple times on a deer stand but always sit with whole lock area of the rifle up under my coat where it's warm and dry, barrel titled down, etc...got in the habit of doing that on early morning hunts when the air is usually heavy and damp in North Carolina anyway...keeps everything in the lock area warm and dry

Some of my best hunting is in mid November in the rain forest or the western Oregon costal Mts. I use the cowsknee and keep the gun tucked under my coat which has large sleeves and a cape and prime with 3f, when a deer presents itself I have no problem in getting a shot if I do not wait to long, reloading can be an effort in futility when the rain is going crossways at 40 MPH, the residue left from the first shot is VERY hydroscopic, hunting from a sheltered stationary position along a trail is another aid in getting the shot, or driveing a gully to a gun that is somewhat in a protected place. It is a different game than when hunting in Bluebird weather.

If I didn't hunt in rain, snow or sleet I'd miss 80% of the season. I find a hemlock, drape a cowsknee over the lock, lean forward over the gun and think warm thoughts. If it's just a light drizzle? Well, that's the best time for still hunting, the moisture knocking down your scent and silencing your footfalls.

It may be miserable but I have taken my largest bucks in the worst of conditions when a winter storm drives the rain sideways and the rut is in full swing the odds shift way over to your side as long as you can keep things dry for that one shot, I did miss a doe a couple of years ago because by the time I got the gun up the wind/rain was so bad in my face I could not see clearly and I drilled the stump next to the deer at a distance of ten paces I guessed a prisum effect from the water in my eyes was the cause as I probably could have hit the deer shooting from the hip.
The Queen Anne sparked and the charge went of just as fast as if it were an August afternoon.

The dern wet weather,blizzard blowing snow side ways! A total white out. And yes I have hunted in those days when gentlemen stay home and let the game fatten up till the next good day. I have tryed the pan under the armpit carry ,barrel pointed down. And yes water can go down your muzzle and wet your main charge. My hunting patchs are lubed good with bore butter. This helps,but keeping the muzzle down or a balloon over it helps. I use fffg to prime and I reprime and pick every 4-hours or when I think it was wet. Of course a new flint for the hunt and a baggie over the frizzen and pan in light rain. If your are a Period correct hunter use leather with snow seal or tung oil on it or waterseal for canvas and decks. Allso canvas waterproofed can make a nice cover. Some have even tryed holding a lit candle over the pan area with melted wax. But a water proof leather frizzen cover will be needed. And When I am on stand I will cock my rifle and leave the frizzen cover on and slip it off to shoot. Very little chance of spooking the deer. But when you still hunt best at half cock and even still the frizzen cover for dryness and safety. A poncho with rifle inside will help to ,but muzzle pointing down is in order. This also helps keep water from running back into the lock and pan. Ah yes we are hearty in spirit for the hunt,but sometimes it is better to plan your hunt with the weather if possible.

Back