• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wet weather flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Lewis

Reaction score
there was a good article in the most recent issue of muzzleblasts today about wet weather flintlock hunting. what do you experienced guys think about the subject? spring turkey will be here before long, gotta get ready to get hunt in the rain if necessary.

I haven't read the article yet, but can verify that it's eminently do-able with simple precautions. Frankly I've seen and experienced more problems with cappers than flinters, perhaps because I and everyone else gets a little careless with them.

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

I've never had any problems hunting in a LIGHT rain with my flintlock, But If it becomes a downpour I either stay at home or I'll get back to the truck and wait it out if I get caught out in it. I keep the lock covered with my jacket and change out the prime every 20 minutes or so, if I'm still out in the rain.

Muzzle down, lock area up under my coat, refresh prime often
I also carry this rain cover in case I get caught on stand in a heavy shower whether for deer, turkey, squirrels, etc.

Thin army blanket lining with cotton duck outer shell, heavily saturated with Camp-Dri silicone spray...courtesy of Ms. Roundball.

4010210VirginiaRainCoveropen.jpg

3010210VirginiaRainCoverclosed.jpg

Shot two deer in the rain. Not something I go lookin for but I had a very short 4 day season and it rained 3 and a half days out of the 4. :shake: Just kept that powder dry. :thumbsup:

We hunted 5 hours in a steady rain during this year's M/L elk in CO.

Like roundball says - muzzle down, keep the lock covered, check the prime often.

Both guns went off when we got back to camp.

2 years ago I shot a cow elk that I had to remove my lock cover first. Still hunting through sopping wet underbrush after a rain.

A little extra care usually gets it done.

Greg

In a light rain I do what Roundball does an have not had any trouble yet. So far I have'nt been caught out in a downpour but Im sure my time is coming :thumbsup:

I use a greased cows knee and get out there in the wet cuz the huntin is at it's best
:hatsoff:

Back