• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What .45 rifle for roedeer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

I want you expirienced guys to ask what .45 rifle would be the best one for roedeer hunting here over the pond in Germany. Roedeer are much smaller than whitetales, only about 40 pounds field dressed. They are most common in thickets and along forestlines. Average distance is 40-80 meters. So no discussion about the cal. please.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Like all small game animals, Roebucks are tough for their size. The RB will kill it, but shot placement is still ALL IMPORTANT to making a quick clean kill. Aim for the lower third of the chest, behind the front leg elbow on a broadside shot. You don't need velocity. If fact, a slower ball will probably expand more, and deliver more shock to such a small animal. Since shots are likely to be short range, use a " target " load for these small deer, IMHO.

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

I want you expirienced guys to ask what .45 rifle would be the best one for roedeer hunting here over the pond in Germany. Roedeer are much smaller than whitetales, only about 40 pounds field dressed. They are most common in thickets and along forestlines. Average distance is 40-80 meters. So no discussion about the cal. please.

Regards

Kirrmeister

It looks like yo are asking for opinions in a brand of gun?
My 2 cents would be to pick your projectile and then the barrel and then the the gun maker...
IF you want a connical gun get the faster twist rate....The RB barrel is slower..I know that you know this (SORRY) Anyway I am a REAL fan of the T/C RB barrel and the CVA makes a pretty good gun too. Of course you can always go custom! :wink:

Not sure what rifles you can get over there but I would say TC.I think you guys can also get Lymans in 45's over there.

410-er said:
Not sure what rifles you can get over there but I would say TC.I think you guys can also get Lymans in 45's over there.

The Lyman Great Plains is a GREAT gun!!

Thanks for the first replies.

Yes we can normally get all kind of ML here, but most of them in .45. So I asked at the point for .45 suggestions. We can also get other cals, but that is a big pain and we have to wait very long because the manufacturers like Ardesa/Traditions and Investarm/Lyman send all ML with bigger cal. as .45 over the pond to you guys and so we have to reimport them :(

My questions goes more in the direction if a longrifle or a hawken style is better?

Regards

Kirrmeister

If I am not mistaken, much of the hunting in Germany is done from an elevated position such as a treestand or standing on the ground. I got the impression from some that you do not do much still hunting or stalking in that part of the world.

If that is the case maybe the long rifle would be the way to go. The long barrel in a treestand or blind would not be a major issue.

If you plan to do any kind of stalking or still hunting maybe the shorter Hawken style of rifle would be more managable.

Either way you will do well. Don't forget to send us some pictures.

What are you using now? Can it take a drop in barrel from Green mountain?

Kirrmeister said:
Thanks for the first replies.

Yes we can normally get all kind of ML here, but most of them in .45. So I asked at the point for .45 suggestions. We can also get other cals, but that is a big pain and we have to wait very long because the manufacturers like Ardesa/Traditions and Investarm/Lyman send all ML with bigger cal. as .45 over the pond to you guys and so we have to reimport them :(

My questions goes more in the direction if a longrifle or a hawken style is better?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Long rifles look cool but I think that the hawken "hunts better" easier to move around and as accurate as it gets based on componets....I really think, though, that this is a personal "style" choice...what do YOU like ther looks of?

Back