• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what a day in the mountain!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
had the pleasure of hunting with good friend charlie and his father Chuck this moring on my favorite mountain for turkeys. i had my 62. cal flitlock smoothbore "SawBones" with me, Charlie had a regular boom stick and his father was doing the calling as he was here from out of state. as we got out of the trucks at 5am i looked up and low and behold the was a hen roosted right at the parking lot at the top of the mountain! never saw that before. we got all ready took a few steps in the woods and i could allready here gobbling at 5:15!!!!! we proceeded to climb the mountain and just before we get to where i like to set up there are tree gobbles EVERYWHERE!! had to set down right there, Charlie and dad went a little ways back down the mountain. we had to hear at least 20 different toms on different parts of the mountain, this was a GOOD day allready!!!! well after they left the roost many went silent but you could hear hens everywhere. after awhile the gobbling started again and sure enough i had 5 jakes at 7 yards in my lap! allthough i have never killed a bird with my flinter i wanted to hold off as there were birds everywhere and i was SURE a longbeard was near by, also didn't want to ruin it for Charlie. his father proceede to extremly PISS OFF the boss hen and thats when the fun really started! the 5 jakes were still in my lap and gobbled so loud i could feel it and dam near went deaf!!!!!!! what an awesome sight watching 5 jakes gobble in unison at 5-10 yards not knowing i was there death stick in hand! try as they might Charlie just could not get a clear shot while i had another jake come right in, a little bigger but still a jake. things died down a bit (10 gobbles a minute!) when i could hear the boss of the woods just above me, i could hear him spitting before i saw him. watched him gobble at 20 yards and thats when i saw his beard! as he shuffled and strutted his beard was dragging (I"M NOT KIDDING!) on the ground back and forth. he looked like a janitor sweeping at a school!!!!! well at 15 yards he pops his head over the knoll and as i put pressure on the trigger he broke strutt and slowly walked away on the other side of the knoll with no shot!!! i know i didn't spook him its just how longbeards get old ya know??? 6th sense, bad timing, not ment to be whatever ya want to call it, he beat me fair and square, really kicked my ass! i watched as he got 80 yards away strutting the whole time and let out a few sarcastic gobbles. ohhhh what a time to be a turkey hunter on the mountain, was one of the best times i ever had and with a good friend and new friend to boot. we regrouped shortly after and hashed out a new plan where i knew the turkeys would go to. a 1/4 mile away we set up again. no sonner were we seated then 2 gobblers were going at it again! Chuck called them right to me but at 20 yardsi just did not feel confident si i waited in hopes they would get closer or go to Charlie. they started doing exactly that when the ole sluty hen started promising a good time to them and pulled the 2 away!!!! soooooo close again! allthough we did not kill a bird i can not recall a better hunt, my heart was pounding from begining to end! its all about that ONE CHANCE and i did have it but it just didn't feel right ya know?????? i feel like we won today as i did have "the chance" and probley should have taken it but there will be another day and another time with a little bit of luck. i will be back after the "janitor" in the morning and who knows!!! i would like to thank Charlie and his dad for sharing the morning with me on my favorite place in the world!!!! its mornings like this that inspire the poem i wrote a few years ago with this mountain on my mind, i am attaching the poem. i will try and get out a few more times this year and all my friends know they are welcome to join me! maybe you can help me school "the janitor!".

poem001.jpg

if anyone would like to go heres your chance, i'll check this post untill 10 tonight. i could meet you at exit 28 on the NY throughaw at 4:15 and we could be in the woods by 5am. i will show you 1000 acres of state land which holds turkey and deer. who knows what could happen tommorow!

round 2:
slept in today as i knew it would rainy. about 7:30 decieded to head to the mountain with a plan in mind to hunt the "janitor". this particular bird does not want to come down off the ledge where he roots the last 3 times i hunted him. he will come off road only to gobble and call his hens to him then head up to the security of the high ledge and open hardwoods. something tell me this ain't his first roedo, old bird for sure! not many will stay away from the strutting zone on the flat by the roost area. there is another longbeard that stays with him which i have not got a good look at yet, i'll call him the "assistent". well today i thought i would come in from the top of the mountain and work down to the ledges. didn't think i would have much luck as it was raining and i am using a flintlock, "sawbones". i carried SawBones in a wool gun case for the hike. i enjoyed the rain and quiet walk to the top, was about 10:00 at this point. i started down in the ledges and found a nice lace to set and relax for awhile, just as i was looking for a comfortable spot i hear a gobble! then another about 100 yards away. i sat down, put my camp on and took sawBones out of the case. used a vent pick and primed the pan, promptly put the lock under my arm pit. gave it 15 minutes and clucked softly, GOOOOBLLLEEEEE! same place as before so i sat still and waited, and waited. just as i was going to make a soft call i see a tail fan 50 yards away and a white head! as he turned i could see the unmisstakable fan missing the same 2 tail feathers and the broom of a beard, it was the "janitor"!!!!!!!! behing him i could se the large, even fan of the "assistent" but could not see him well. i watched for 30 minutes as he strutted but would not advance. i purred gently and he struted for all he was worth but would not move! his body language said it all, come to me girl i am THE BOSS i do not go to you! this went on for 45 minutes of heart pounding pleasue! i purred again and he finally took a couple steps my way. i cocked SawBones and prepared for him to come around a tree at 20 yards. he did just that but would come no closer! i will NOT shoot 20 yards as i have learned my lesson the hard way twice and there will be no third time. i watched him slowly strutt off to my left and out of sight, i now at that point he knew he had been had and was getting out of Dodge!! what a great time. i love this mountain and matching witts with the ole "janitor". next Saterday i have a game plan in mind for first light and hope to match witts again. as for the "assistent" i still have not got a good luck and he had snuck off as i was watching the "janitor". at the bottom of the mountain i touched off SawBones who went of like a champ, wet and all instent ignition, great flinter! i really did not expect to have a chance like that today, really caught me off guard. hope to get my buddy John next week to give me a hand.

Latest posts

Back