• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What a great time of year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well Vt. rifle season starts this coming weekend and as always, I will be hunting with my 50 caliber Hawken.

Sure I will once again hear the ribbing from my center fire buddies for taking out my smoke pole but that's fine with me.

My only question is whether of not to hunt in the valley where I saw a huge Vt. buck during bow season or to hunt beautiful Red Mt. where I took a nice buck from last year?

The funny thing is, I really don't want to take a deer on opening morning like I did last year due to the fact that my season will be over too quickly.

Oh well that's what hunting is all about. I guess either way, or regardless of the out come, I am blessed to be healthy enough to have such a dilema. Life is good and even better this time of year. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

Good Luck to ya Mighty Oak!
I hunted for 25 years off the Stratton/Arlington road, and you know that "patch" of woods.
Feast or famine in those big woods, but I learned a lot.
I miss that place.

Take a camera with ya. That way if the situation arises, you can take a pic instead of shooting opening day. :thumbsup:

Those are some big woods with some big deer and you are correct its feast or famine there.
Kinda like the Adirondacks.

Now your talking. That's the way to do it even if the camera doesn't go with the rest of my 18th century gear. Hopefully I will be posting some pictures as well as eating some back straps.

mighty oak ,we have snow here in the north .just came in yesterday .youth season was a bust but I did enjoy time with my daughter ,.I also enjoy the look you get from the other guys ,just tell them your parol officer wont let you use a regular rifle and see how fast that clears the woods out ,especially if someone is in your stand good fortune to you,I dont believe in luck.

Now that's funny. In fact I have been questioned in regards to why I carry a smoke pole during rifle season as if I had a federal offense.

Well lets make this perfectly clear I do NOT have any federal restrictions.

I personally CHOOSE to hunt with my front loaders because I enjoy the challenge as well as the overall experience.

By he way, we do have some snow on the mountain tops down here as well but not enough to get too excited about. I was in the Adirondacks last week when they had a foot of snow. Saw a few deer but no shooters. Did see the biggest bear tracks I had ever seen though.

Back