• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What caliber do you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What caliber do you carry and what is your load? For deer I will be using a 54cal 100gr Goex FFG with .530rb .015 patch. If I elk hunt next year I would use that or get a GM 58cal barrel for it (Renegade) and try to load it with around 120gr FFG. I know I would have to work up a load but I would hope it would end up being around 120gr. I might just use my 54 though. For this year it will be just deer with the 54cal. So what caliber do you use, what is your load, and what do you use it on?

Thanks

I use .54 with a .530 and 0.15 patch, loaded with 90 grains Goex. This is the upper sweet spot of the gun but plenty accurate enough. This has been my primary deer load. I used to use a conical and 90 grain for elk, but thanks to the fine folks on this board, I have the confidence to use PRB for elk now.

I have a browning mountian rifle and I use a 500 RB with 70gr. fff and a 20ths. patch on deer here in Michigan.

Sharp Shooter,
It depends, on the particular area
that I may be hunting on any given day. The one
I prefer to use is my .45 Hawken with a GM
barrel, .440 PRB with .15lubed patch and .70grns
3fff Goex. Although I have harvested deer with
both my .50 and .54 I feel more confident with
the .45. Just my opinion.
Good luck on your hunts!
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

You just asked this same thing last month.

Here's your other thread:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/195895[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
You just asked this same thing last month.

Here's your other thread:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/195895/[/quote][/url]

I forgot about that!!! My bad. Thanks roundball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad. I replied twice to the same thread just a day or two apart. Forgot I had replied already. Even coffee doesn't help. *sigh*

aw gees :( I thought he was gettin ready fer next year! on account he already knowed what we was gonna use this year...next time I'll pay attention... :rotf: RC

I guess I didnt see the other one.

I'm usin a .53 Santa Fe Hawken built to the 1838 Hawken blueprints from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis. I use .520 balls with rednwhite ticking, lubed with venison tallow/bwax and cut at the muzzle, over 120 gr FFG. It is a good fatal 100 yard load, and very very accurate in this rifle.

Bill

58 cal long stock Hawken flinter. 570 dia round ball ahead of 140gr ffg Goex. 1/72 twist 36" barrel. Stout recoil.

.54 shooting .530 RB, .018 patch, wonder wad, and 90gr FFFg Goex. This seems to be what the gun wants this year. Got 3.5 inch groups at 100 yds.

.535 Hornady roundball patched with Eastern Maine Products pre-lubed, pre-cut .018 pillow ticking, on top of 90 grains 3f Goex (deer and hog)

.360 roundball patched with Eastern Maine Products pre-lubed, pre-cut pillow ticking on top of 40 grains 3f Goex (turkey and coyote)

50 cal T/C hawken percussion, 370 grain Maxiball conical...on top of 80 grains pyrodex RS....

soon to be

45 cal T/C Hawken flinty, 440 RB with ?? pillow tickled prelubed patches (likely 0.018) on top of ?? grains ?f BP. :winking:

Hawken .50 with home cast Lee Real bullet and 90 grs.FFG or .58 Enfield with home cast original style Minie and 90 grs.FFG.

54 renegade w/ 530 rb .15 tc patch 80 gr. ffg or 100 grain of ffg over remington 400 grain conicals they both group the same spot at 50 yards. got to love it.

.50 in handgun and rifle.

I've decided on a .490 RB in each, though I have been known to load up to a 360gr minnie.

I have a 12" Buckhunter pistol and now a .490 Ruger Old Army to play with.

The stainless ROA matches my stainless flintlock better though. :grin:

Back