• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what critter is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either a wold or wolf/dog mix. Patchy colored coats aren't uncommon on either.

Eastern Coyote,,they are all over Maine, the are bigger than the Western coyote,cross bread of wolf and Coyote.Proven through DNA test, University of Maine, Orono campus.Kill everyone you see.Don't miss,they learn very quick and get crafty.

That photo was taken in southern Virginia, and halfway between where the Red Wolf was reintroduced in NE North Carolina and where the Gray wolf was reintroduced in western Virginia starting in 2003.
http://www.vlrc.org/articles/42.html

I've had plenty of photos of what I would call an Eastern Coyote, but none were this big or wolf like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yote wolf cross???

Have Seen bigger wolfs but of the Canadian variety.

are they protected? there?

Males can exceed 45 lbs and females 30-35 lbs here in Maine. if you google Coyote in Maine there is a good write up on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the Eastern cross between wolves and coyotes. Wolves from Canada breeding with coyotes from the US on the east coast. Watched a documentary on them a few weeks ago. Very interesting.

Nice picture from that Moultrie trailcam. Have you had good luck with them? I have several of the Primos and not overjoyed. Had 6 and now down to 3 as longevity is not good.

Dave

there are no more full blood red wolfs. coyote has inter breed them out of excitent in the wild. cross breed or coyo- dog. either way they need to be eratacated. at least in ga. ga. now has special seasons the get ride of them

Vomir le Chien said:
Eastern Coyote,,they are all over Maine, the are bigger than the Western coyote,cross bread of wolf and Coyote.Proven through DNA test, University of Maine, Orono campus.Kill everyone you see.Don't miss,they learn very quick and get crafty.
I agree. Eastern coyotes can get very large. It has the head/face of a coyote. Same kind in SE MN.

snout looks too "box-y" to be all wild. We had some monster coy dogs around here in years gone by. Remember the WCO got one one winter that weighed closed to 70 pounds. Looked part mastiff.

That particular Moultrie is 5 years old and has been very good. I have an M80 blackflash as well, but its images aren't as clear.

I have one Primos, a 35 Ultra, but am not impressed. Its slow trigger speed seems to miss more than it gets, but it was cheap.

My newer cameras are 14mp Bushnell Aggressor no glow and seem pretty good so far. Trigger speed is amazing!

The other "coyotes" that I have on camera are smaller, have bigger ears and pointier snouts. There are grey foxes around too, but there is no mistaking them.

I have a tanned hide here,shot in central Pa and I did the skinning. Its 5-1/2' from tip to tip, and I'm sure the one pictured is bigger.

DNA tests show the "red wolf" to be a cross between coyotes and the eastern gray wolf. The feds refuse to acknowledge this but several judges have had their say on it. They stopped the Great Smokey Mtn. project and the St. Vincent's I. population is just a few individuals. No. Carolina is the sole site for releases now unless they have stopped that too.

A bowhunter on our Alabama hunt club killed a "coyote" that we weighed at 60 lbs. on our deer scale.

Back