• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I buy? Remington New Model 1859?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldguy24

32 Cal
Reaction score
Posted on this and had to buy it to get pictures to see what it is, who made it and for what purpose. The top of the barrel is marked "E REMINGTON & SONS ILION NEW YORK USA". Bottom of the grip frame is marked with serial number 465100 and stylized "R", left side of barrel "Cal 44", right side of barrel "NEW MODEL 1859", under the loading lever is just "R" and the cylinder has serial number and "R". Left grip panel has cartouche inside oval. Have not taken the grips off but can not find any other markings. I've taken some quick pic's, hope they are OK and see if anybody has a clue. Came out of an estate in New Jersey. I've exhausted every site with any info on the Remmy but nothing fits. I did see one site that showed one made for a Remington anniversary (don't remember who it was contracted to) but had a two line address on top of the barrel. Thoughts/ideas?

Attachments

• IMGP0378.JPG
    IMGP0378.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMGP0379.JPG
    IMGP0379.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0380.JPG
    IMGP0380.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0381.JPG
    IMGP0381.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0383.JPG
    IMGP0383.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0384.JPG
    IMGP0384.JPG
  • IMGP0385.JPG
    IMGP0385.JPG
  • IMGP0386.JPG
    IMGP0386.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0387.JPG
    IMGP0387.JPG
  • IMGP0388.JPG
    IMGP0388.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Took the grips off and the number 6455 is stamped on the grip frame and is inked on the inside of the right grip panel. see pic's.

Attachments

• IMGP0389.JPG
    IMGP0389.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0391.JPG
    IMGP0391.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0392.JPG
    IMGP0392.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0393.JPG
    IMGP0393.JPG
  • IMGP0394.JPG
    IMGP0394.JPG
Looks like a Remington New Model 1863 Army to me.
If it is an original or a repro I have no idea because I was never really interested in this model.
Long Johns Wolf

I'm 100% sure this is a modern replica that appears to have been built for a specific purpose as noted by the Remington address on top of the barrel as well as several well placed "R"'s on the grip frame, barrel and cylinder in an attempt to add "originality". I think Phil Coffins has it spot on as the bluing on the whole frame does not seem to have been a higher quality as it has several spots showing a copperish/purplish. My issue is that I cannot figure who may have built this or exactly for what purpose, most likely a small production run to commemorate something Remington. It seems to be of excellent quality (minus the bluing job) as function was excellent, good lock-up and slightly higher front sight might make it shoot to point of aim?

I looks like a very nicely made revolver for sure whoever made it. I would also say it is of modern manufacturing and most likely of some limited run production.

No signs anywhere that it was ever fired. All the seller knew was that it came out of an estate and that their research could not come up with any info either. It has a lot of similarities to some of the Colt replicas with enough incorrect areas to keep it from being passed off as original. May have been a presentation case at one point but none that made it to the seller.

Looks like a very nice replica defarbed but never intended to pass as original. Very nice.

Someone did a particularly nice job on the grips. Also, the oval cartouche is not really correct for Remington as far as I know but I’m far from any sort of expert. I’m sending your pictures to someone who knows these things…

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back