• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE if you could only have One Smoothebore. .28/.54 Caliber, or 20/.62 Caliber.

WHY
:thumbsup:

akapennypincher said:
What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE if you could only have One Smoothebore. .28/.54 Caliber, or 20/.62 Caliber.

WHY

If this means I could still also have ML rifles, I'd keep the larger .62cal/.20ga strictly for a larger shot payload for longer range turkey hunting, etc.

But if I could only keep a single muzzleloader at all...to depend on for all the hunting I normally do...after this fall's debut with my .54cal/.28ga GM Flint smoothbore barrel, I'd keep it as my single muzzleloader.
Patched RB's are a single ragged hole at 50yds (took two fine bucks with it), and it throws an excellent #6 shot pattern at 25yds.

Well if I could only have one it would have to be a 24ga. Why? Because the one I have is an original SXS 24ga Flintlock Fowler. :thumbsup:

Just remember that you got to carry all that stuff. Meaning that sometimes less is more! There is really no way to answer the question...but you knew that. :rotf: So, to answer the question...I'd pick the 16 gauge. :applause:

If I had to depend on the gun to feed myself I'd choose a long barreled 10 bore with some jug in it.

akapennypincher said:

Yeah, are those the only two choices? I had a 16 bore/.662" that was pretty useful. If the gun had a rear sight I'd go with 28 bore/.54 cal. If it's a fusil I'd go higher. At least a 20 bore. As Roundball said: if I get to also have a rifle I'd also go larger bore because I would be more apt to be using shot. In that case a short barreled, lightweight 14 or 12 for my shotgun needs. I've tried wing shooting with a heavy 42" barrel flinter and it don't happen.

How usefull is the .28 for geese/ducks?
I'm planning the same sort of project.

Regards

20/.62 Caliber..for me it's as small as I would want to hunt spring gobblers with regularly and shoots a big Ole ball for other stuff.

Loyd said:
How usefull is the .28 for geese/ducks?
I'm planning the same sort of project.

Regards
In the states surrounding my area, a 20 bore is the smallest legal size that is allowed.

I'd pick the largest bore allowed by the original question. You can always load down to equal a smaller gauge but are somewhat limited in loading up to a larger one.

My only current M/L shotgun is a 12 gauge. I'm not as much worried about RB's as about shot loads so would tend to stick with my 12 gauge or jump up to a 10 gauge.

GrayBear

roundball said:
akapennypincher said:

WHY

If this means I could still also have ML rifles, I'd keep the larger .62cal/.20ga strictly for a larger shot payload for longer range turkey hunting, etc.

But if I could only keep a single muzzleloader at all...to depend on for all the hunting I normally do...after this fall's debut with my .54cal/.28ga GM Flint smoothbore barrel, I'd keep it as my single muzzleloader.
Patched RB's are a single ragged hole at 50yds (took two fine bucks with it), and it throws an excellent #6 shot pattern at 25yds.
Hay roundball what is your formula for a ragged hole at 50yrd with a smooth bore? how many shot group is that. what does it mesure? what is your seceret. I was under the impression that three inches at 50yrds was about as good as it gets.
I just got a smooth bore in 20guage and want to acheve good groups with it. :hatsoff:

Greenmtnboy said:
roundball said:
akapennypincher said:

WHY

Hay roundball what is your formula for a ragged hole at 50yrd with a smooth bore? how many shot group is that. what does it mesure? what is your seceret. I was under the impression that three inches at 50yrds was about as good as it gets.
I just got a smooth bore in 20guage and want to acheve good groups with it. :hatsoff:

No secret...that load in that GM barrel at 50yds is unbelieveably accurate...5 shot groups of .54cal balls at 50yds.

From what I've read and come to believe from Forums just like this, is that groups start to open up at distance due to the lack of rotational spin, not that smoothbores are automatically inaccurate at close distances.

At 50yds that ball is still running under a pretty good head of steam which probably offsets the lack of rotation and minimizes the knuckleball effect...but as it slows down over distance is when the knuckleball effect probably starts to show up...it would be a good experiment this spring/summer to see what it'll do at 75 & 100yds.

I have an 11 gauge smoothy to match my 11 gauge rifle. Don't have to buy another mold.
Overpowder wads fit both guns. GC

As I am into guns from the pre rev-war period the term gauge has no meaning, I very seldom shoot shot and if I do it is at small game so I think a gun with a bore size of .58 would do well and handle balls in the .535-.575 range and still carry an large enough load of shot to suit my needs, and as luck would have it that is what the last gun I made was and it may well be my ONE gun as I grow older with this sport.

I have a 20.

I wish I'd bought a 16.

I probably should have bought a 12.

I have a 28/54 fowler with a 42 inch heavy Colerain, that I bought for paper target accuracy. It's very accurate, like Roundball's, one ragged hole at 50 yds. The groups open up at 100 yds, but I can still knock down bear silouettes at that distance.

If I had to rely on it for waterfowling and turkeys, I would definately get the bigger bore. But I have a 12 gauge SxS muzzleloader for that.

Neither! I would go for a 24-bore .58". There's one in every crowd...I'm it in this one.

akapennypincher said:

WHY

That's easy to answer for me (because I'm very opinionated and I own one of these :haha:) ... 20/.62. Large enough shot charges to be effective for turkeys/geese and also the smaller stuff (rabbit, squirrel, etc) and still reasonably economical to shoot with PRB and very effective for larger game. Probably wouldn't want to shoot too many little things with that PRB, but it will definitely work well for elk, bear and even moose.

Back