• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What grit sandpaper for slate calls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wattlebuster said:
The green scotch bright pads work for me. Also does'nt eat up the slate like sandpaper
In fact, one I bought years ago actually included a section of material like those pads....happened to be brown but it was the same material

Yeah, I use one of those, came with an H.S. Strut slate call, I think. It's very tough, seems to have some small metal fibers (?) woven into it, and shows almost no wear after a lot of use. It is pretty coarse to the feel, but leaves a fairly smooth slate after use. Works on glass 'slates', too.

Spence

While the pads work fine, If I have a call that doesn't sound like I want I will use 80 grit paper on it. Doesn't hurt it and really makes better purrs, etc.

I use the scotchbrite stuff myself, but shaping the striker with sandpaper can be just as important.

I use 80 grit and sand in one direction only. Then I use the striker at a 90 degree angle to the scratch marks. I have three different strikers and each create a different sound. One is acrylic, one is wood, made from a 3/8" dowel rod, tapered to a rounded point, and glued into a 1" thick 3" piece of dowel, and the last is carbon fiber, made from a broken fishing rod........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back