• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun did Lewis and Clark carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Curran

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been asked to build an 1803 Harpers Ferry by a friend. But what did Lewis and Clark really carry? Were these full stocked early versions of the 1803? Or was it the true fully developed armory product?

Any thoughts of yours appreciated.

No one knows with certainty. There was likely a variety of personal weapons and issue guns, probably Pattern of 1795.

Thank you for all the replies.
Good historically based information and photos.
I'm putting all this into a folder for reference.
This forum is really helpful, I must say thanks again.
Tom.

Read the Steven Ambrose book, he goes into it pretty thoroughly, up to and including the air rifle.

Contact Jess at the Rifle Shoppe, he can tell you all about them. He knows just about everything that happened at Harper's Ferry Arsenal. Heck he makes his living from it.

This thread is really old. I hope it is ok to bring it back up.
I am a collateral descendant of Geroge Druliard. I am wondering if he would have carried what Lewis and Clark supplied. I would think he would have brought his own rifle. If so, what that rifle was. I think it would be incredible to have a reproduction of that rifle. I even own land on the Clearwater in Idaho and wonder if he hunted it! :hmm:

MM

"I meant Geroge Drouillard. Called Drewyer. sorry"

Sorry? You used a common spelling for the man's name as it was listed in Lewis' own hand. Drewer is also used. It has been frequently printed either way ever since. Actually, there are a variety of spellings of that name in various locations. Spelling was quite a creative concept back then -- all too frequently still is!

As to the gun that this particular man may have carried, I think it quite unlikely that he would have initially chosen to carry an issued weapon. First, he was not recruited from the military ranks as were others and never became a member of the military. He was a contracted scout. He had been out on his own for some time and carried what he found worked for him in the past. However, there were a few instances in which weapons were stolen/taken from small parties, so it is possible that his rifle was lost. Feb of '05 was one notable instance. He may have needed to rely upon a givernment issue weapon, but I see no notation of this and think that there would have been mention had it been so.

Have you read Ambrose's Undaunted Courage? Quite a good book.

CS

I agree. If it had been me, I would use my trustee weapon of choise, rather than an issued weapon.
I will look up that book. I think my Aunt has it. She is the one that connected the dots for the family history. Even ended up with a certificate. LOL I figure that it will be hard to find out exactly what he had, considering the problems figuring out what L & C carried. LOL

Thank you all for the help.

George was the son of Peter Drouillard a man Simon Kenton met while a captive in Detroit in 1778. Later Peter went to live near Kenton in Kentucky. George grew up and was trained as one of "Kenton's Rangers" a group of young men trained by Kenton to scout for indian sign and react to raids as a sort of unoffical milita, in Kenton's words they were "on their own hook" or no official recognition. They were a very effective force to counter the indians. I would guess by the time George was recruited for the Corps of Discovery he owned his own rifle, as the other rangers did, and took it with him. I know of a rifle in a private collection that was carried by one of Kenton's Rangers it is a signed Albright and has a horse head finial brass patch box and some incised carving.

Regards, Dave

Thank you. I just knew what I would insist on and since his fathers blood runs through my veins, I am sure (LOL) that he would have. I will look up this rifle and see what I can find. Thank you.

MM

Tom The gun that has the most references about in their journal 39 times I think was A 22 shot repeating air rifle in 45 cal. I cant remember the web address but do a search under "Lewis and Clark air rifle" It was basically the assualt rifle of its day, the indians thought it was magic and they displayed it often. This doesn't help you but its interesting reading.

Greetings MountainMan,

For many, many years there seem to be a general consensus among historians what firearms were taken and used by the Corp of Discovery.

In more recent times researchers are disputing the old conclusions, so much in fact, that I am not sure if we know for certain what they carried.

Not too long ago, I was taking with one of our local antique arms collectors and dealers. This is a man of great knownledge and reputation. He informed me that the long accepted identification of the Lewis and Clark air rifle is being challenaged, and another contender is being examined.

Well..., I sure do not know the answer. It is time for the more knowledgable Forum members on this subject to jump in here and update us on this subject.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? Iam carrying your load.

Here's what I understand to be the current consensus on what they carried. I believe it's a 1792 contact rifle with an updated 1803 styled lock.
L&C rifle
This is a kit produced by Don Stith that I put together.

Mike, why is it called a "contract rifle?" is it because it was ontracted by the expedition, or because it was contraxted by the feds in 1792?

Skagun --

According to "Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms", in 1792 President Washington authorized the creation of several battalions of riflemen, and Purveyor Of Public Supplies Tench Coxe contracted a number of Pennsylvania gunsmiths (including Jacob Dickert) to build a beefed-up version of the civilian longrifle. The guns originally had Germanic-style locks, but were later refurbished with 1803 Harper's Ferry locks.

Flayderman's description of the 1792, based on correspondence between Coxe and one of the gunsmiths involved in this project, differs in a number of details from what now seems to be accepted as the proper configuration for the gun. Regardless, it would appear -- and certainly seems logical -- that the 1792 rather than the 1803 rifle was standard issue for the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Back