• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What have YOU Built?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGunner

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Haven't really seen this before, But what have you built before in the past? Not any specific model, just maybe a description and a few pics would be cool. I've been thinking about building another rifle and would possibly like some ideas.

There was a thread on here a month or so ago concerning this. I'm not sure what search term to use, but I bet someone will know.
Anyhow, a bunch of guys posted picks.
Woody

you could do worse than building a forty caliber "A" weight Colerain radius groove barrel in a Southern Mountain Pecatonica precarve with a nice Durs Egg lock... i put some bloodwood inlays on mine- so now it's much more a fantasy gun than something even withing sighting distance of PC/HC, but it is a great deal of fun to shoot.

(i coned the muzzle, and i use lead flint wraps, and i drink cheap domestic beer - when i don't brew my own - and i'm a de facto)
libertarian

there, that should get the villagers all riled up ... i can almost hear them getting their torches and pitchforks ready...

good luck with you build ... ignore the villagers...

Penn-Rifle-030037.jpg

Over the years I've built these and others.

Most started out as a box of parts from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co.

I think from top to bottom we all need some sort of INFORMATION on your guns!!!!! :bow: :bow: and a PICTURE OF YOURS MSW

I build for myself mostly. I am tall and like a 15" pull when possible. My first full rifle build was a .36 long rifle. I made all the mistakes you could possibly make on it but it still turned out to be a good rifle. It was my only flinter for a few years and brought home plenty or rabbits and plunder from many shoots. It is the top one in the picture.

Flinters1.jpg

The second one is a little .32 I built about four years ago. I wanted a light weight rifle to chase bunnies with and shoot squirrel gun competition. It has a 3/4" x 36" GM barrel and is just like shooting a .22.

The bottom one is a .58 flinter I built just before the .32. I bought the barrel and lock about 20 years ago but changed careers about that time. I hauled the parts around for about 15 years and finally got around to building it when I retired. It is a full stock flint Hawken. It does great in big bore competition.

My first percussion was a CVA Mountain Rifle I built from a kit in the seventies. It was a good shooting rifle but didn't fit me very well. With 100 yard and hunting loads, it would smack me in the cheek. I restocked it with a Leman stock to give me enough drop and enough pull to shoot comfortably.

MountainRifle.jpg

This rifle was built from parts I had packed around also. It was the first rifle I built after I retired. I was definitely rusty in my skills. I named the rifle Murphy because everything that could go wrong went wrong when I built it. The rifle came out nice though and it is a great shooter. It has a .50 42" barrel tapered from 15/16" to 13/16".

murphy1.jpg

There are others I have built that were destroyed in a fire. The one I have that I don't have a picture of is a .50 Tennessee. It has a 42" 7/8" barrel with an L&R Manton lock. This particular rifle is a tack driver. Works way better than the operator.

Hmmmmm. Some righties and some lefties. Are you ambidextrous or building for more than one shooter? :)

I built the bottom three in that pic... plus just a couple more :haha:

have yet to make that jump but i have refinished and chamged a number of ones i have owned
some nice pieces that all for sharing

Swampy, I see alot of similarities between the 1803 and your uncle's bear gun. Did the 1803 influence the bear gun's design?

Beautiful rifle by the way. I love simplicicty :thumbsup: . Bill

I can't really say it did. If so it was subconciously.

My plan was to build a short easy to use gun To use for bear and hopefully deer down here. I had some parts here collecting dust and ordered a .58 GM barrel cut at 30" and went with a Chambers Late Ketland. Browned everything and inletted an oval piece of Ivory with his initials scrimmed into it, in the cheek piece. Kinda a mongral and we kid about that but it shoots great and he is deadly with it out to 100 yards. I just wish I could get him to use it more here. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back