• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is Moose Milk???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years I have used a mixture of equal parts of murphy's oil soap, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alchol to clean black powder. I have been told that is what they call moose milk. I am not sure about that, but what I do know is it works great for cleaning black powder I have not seen anything that works better. I also use it to clean my brass when shooting black powder cart. Try it.

Thats what I call MAP. I use it some, does a good job. But you had better oil right afterwards, as it cleans to the bare metal. Dilly

There are a variety of recipes for "moose milk". Basically, it is a water soluble oil (I use Ballistol), water, and a detergent of some type (I use liquid dish detergent.).
2 oz. of detergent, 4 oz. Ballistol, and water to make a quart. The mixture turns white from the oil being suspended in the water.
Some folk add alcohol in some form or other.
Pete

Although I'm sure there are older versions of Moose Milk, the oldest I've heard of was made using one of the many water soluble oils made for high speed production machines.
This is commonly used on lathes and milling machines to keep the cutters cool and washing away the chips.

It is available at various machine suppliers and it is mixed with water to make the usable solution.

I have read that patches which are soaked in it and left for a month or so loose their strength.

Personally I like Stumpkillers version of Moose Milk. It's easy to make and easy to use.
In fact, I like it so well that I have suggested that it deserves its own name rather than just calling it Moose Milk.
I prefer to call it Moose Juice. :grin:
zonie :)

Latest posts

Back