• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the best paper cartridge kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked couple from Guns of the West, they work fine, then I picked up one for Ruger Old Army from CartridekitsShop, I ended up with 2 more from CartridekitsShop, the CartridekitsShop ones just work better for me, either ones work fine but I havnt used Guns of the West kits since I bought CartridekitsShop ones, other folks may have just the opposite experience.

I use ZigZag rolling papers. I roll em angled from corner to corner with around 3/8ths paper hanging over the end of the wooden former (tapered just a bit) and after the roll I lick the tab and bend that bit hanging over back up the cartridge end to produce the bottom of the shell.

After producing some shells, I drop the round ball or conical down onto the powder charge and grabbing the excess paper at the top which I twist it into a tight twister tail. After letting them set for a few minutes to allow the paper twist to "set" I cut the twist off about 1/16th above the bullet end.

Lastly I dunk the bullet end into melted lube and set them in an old shell block from a 9mm cartridge box to dry.

Goes pretty fast once the system is learned. As fast or faster than loading conventional brass cartridges ... with no expensive gear, no expensive supplys and no expensive revolvers.

Win win win

I use zig zag paers also and a tube/bushing method. This tube is actually from a old powder measure that is .430 o.d. but you could probly use a 7/16 o.d. bushing. I shaved down a 3/8 bushing for .36 cal.

With a slight firm press the ball sticks on the end, wrap the paper around, lick, press and blow on it for 5 seconds. Twist the paper around the ball and trim. Then it pulls right off. ( I had to drill a hole in the end of the tube to release air) Then put them ball down in a 44 cartridge case and fill with small funnel. Hold the ball and cartridge with your fingers to support it and twist the end closed, trim.

If you use filler, remember filler FIRST, then powder😆. The ones pictured have been rolled for over 2 years and the twists are still holding fine.
20240926_165209.jpg
20240926_165233.jpg
20240923_181209.jpg

Back