• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what load for a kentucky 54 caliber flint pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
the papers that came with the kit stated round ball and 30 grains of FF or FFF powder. However the lyman book states 35, 40, 45 and 50. Was wondering what weight to use, I have goex FFFg to try, also some tripple 7.
Ed

Ed Street I have 50 cal kentucky pistol with 12" barrel and i shoot 40 grains of 3f hits pop cans at 50 yds as for the t7 it does not work in flintlocks real slow going off.

Well...

Mine wasn't a CVA Kentucky, but is a "no-name" Spanish replica of a flintlock "tower pistol" and 30gr of FFFg was plenty strong in this one. It's not that I do MOT think 40 or 50g off FFFg of BP isn't a safe load or that the gun just isn't "good enough". I do NOT use Pyrodex or other substitute propellants, too hard to light, and 777 might just be a little too energetic for my use, BUT my load works just fine under tha circumstances.

ALWAYS use a BIG enough gun, AND shoot shafe/1
WV_Hillbilly

40gr. FFFg Goex for me in mine. I tried shooting some FFg out of it a couple of times, and it didn't seem to want to ignite as well. It is a fairly stout load, but fun to shoot and pretty accurate too.

As others have said, stick with the real BP in a flintlock. The imitations simply have too high of an ignition temperature to go off reliably in a rock lock.

Back