• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what make is your favorite barrel???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Ed Rayl barrels. Ed will cut the rifling to your desired twist (1-16, 1-28, 1-48, 1-66, or 1-72) in any standard caliber you request. You can also choose round bottom or square bottom rifling. Your going to wait awhile to get your order filled, but Ed's barrels are worth the wait. Ed Rayl is, GOOD!!! I also like the Green Mountain barrels, and I have an old Douglas that I can not say enough good things about! Though I have heard the opposit on Douglas barrels. In my opinion I'm sorry that they don't make the Douglas' anymore. Getz, Colerain, Rice, they're all good. Just depends on what your looking for. :)

I have used Green River Rifle Works, Green Mountain, Orion, Colerain and L.C. Rice. The GRRW are history. My last two GMtn needed a lot of lapping (Neill had the same experience), so changed from them. They may be better now. Had two swamped Colerains, foolishly pulled the breech plug from one and found it was not down. Hacksawed the back of the barrel off and turned the plug in two flats of the barrel to get it down. Then the barrel shot left 10" at 50 yards. If there is another time, I'll use a dime spacer to fill that gap and not try to bottom the plug into the barrel. Or better yet, send that barrel back. I like the Rice barrels very much. Those plugs are fitted to zero or .004 from down. They are well polished, and also come with choice of length, twist, and round or square bottom grooves. www.ricebarrels.com.

I have two with Douglas that shoot real well,four with Bill Large that are extremely good shooters,I have used G.Mtn.,Rayl,Getz, dehaas. I am reading a lot of good imfo on the Rice barrels.

Well I'm gonna stick my nose in this one.
(why not I do everywhere else!!!)
This question is like the Ford vs. Chevy, vs, Dodge,etc. debates.
They are all good.
I'd venture to say not one of us can shoot better than the quality barrels built today.
The ONLY real way to determine which barrel is "better" than another is to put the thing in a machine rest and have a go at it.

Since this is the "Builder's Bench" I would have to say Rice because they require little or no work to finish the barrel. All nice and smooth and ready to brown.

As far as shooting, they will all make you happy.

S'poke

It all depends on how ya look at it.

Wear & Tear: Green Mountain is as tough as they come & will outlast any of the barrels when figuring rounds per barrel.

Looks: Rice Barrels are the smoothest in & out. IMHO, outside polished finish is a waste of good machine time & $ to me as I draw file my barrels & take that purdy finish off. I would prefer he knock off the fine polishing of the outside & cut the barrel price $20 each.

Value: Colerain. Best barrel for the money & have never had a bad one from dozens I have used. Also have always had good accuracy from them. They cover most swamped barrel applications & wonderful availability on them.

Accuracy: Goodoien. Jim's barrels will outshine all of them off the bench. If I was building a match rifle, his barrel is the first choice.

Quality & Looks: The Getz if a great barrel, just a delay in getting the ones ya want sometimes. Very nice work inside & out & a quality barrel. I use them if I can get them & if the customer wants to go the lil extra from the cost of a Colerain.

But I guess my answer to the question is Colerain is my favorite as I do use them the most. Most customer don't want to go the additional cost of the Getz or the Rice but want a swamped barre so the Colerain come in the picture. I have had wonderful success with them.

IMHO, All of the name brand barrels will shoot more accurately than than 95% of the shooters can hold.

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

Latest posts

Back