• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned my traditions Kentucky rifle, this is my first real muzzleloader, and was my first time cleaning one. I’m 19 and new to the whole black powder game, so I’m open to any advice yall have to a beginner in this hobby.
I have one just like it. It’s a dandy. When I want to shoot a traditional muzzleloader at 100 yards it’s the one I grab although I hardly ever shoot past 50 yards.

My advice to any beginner muzzleloader shooter is S L O W D O W N. We ain’t mag dumping and the dry ball will come soon enough.

Now go shoot it again before it has a chance to rust!😉

My Southern Mountain horn is coming along nicely
1000031170.jpg
1000031170.jpg

Had the L&R Late English Lock on my Full Stock Hawken "Fail" during a shoor at the Marlborough Club - it wouldn't stay on full cock reliably - the fly was not clearing to let the sear drop into Full Cock. A few minutes stoning and relieving the top side of the sear had it back to 100% - in fairness to L&R this would be the first issue I've had with one of their locks in over 40 years.

I have one just like it. It’s a dandy. When I want to shoot a traditional muzzleloader at 100 yards it’s the one I grab although I hardly ever shoot past 50 yards.

My advice to any beginner muzzleloader shooter is S L O W D O W N. We ain’t mag dumping and the dry ball will come soon enough.

Now go shoot it again before it has a chance to rust!😉
That gives me some hope, I plan on practicing with as much as possible before November, most of the deer I’ve shot in the past have been under 50 yards so hopefully I can make something happen this season

I cleaned my traditions Kentucky rifle, this is my first real muzzleloader, and was my first time cleaning one. I’m 19 and new to the whole black powder game, so I’m open to any advice yall have to a beginner in this hobby.
You've come to the right place. I have the flintlock version of that rifle I built from a kit. I took a deer with it year before last using 60 grains of 3F black powder, .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with mink oil, and a hand cast .490" round ball . It dropped in it's tracks at 35 yards.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Attempted making a brass patch box. Epic fail! Too much gap between the lid and finial. Oh well, try, try again.
Practice makes perfect. I cast one out of electrical motor contacts which is about 50% silver.

Attachments

• 20201109_095240_HDR.jpg
    20201109_095240_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB
  • 20201117_104021.jpg
    20201117_104021.jpg
    3.4 MB
  • 20210103_101447.jpg
    20210103_101447.jpg
    2.8 MB
  • 20210118_120805.jpg
    20210118_120805.jpg
    2.8 MB
You've come to the right place. I have the flintlock version of that rifle I built from a kit. I took a deer with it year before last using 60 grains of 3F black powder, .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with mink oil, and a hand cast .490" round ball . It dropped in it's tracks at 35 yards.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.
That’s good to know, I’ve always wondered what sort of damage/ballistics a patched round ball has on a deer, or if I’ll have to track them far. Obviously shot placement is key, but from your story it seems that a round ball is no slouch compared to like a sabot or conical,if the shooter does his part.

That’s good to know, I’ve always wondered what sort of damage/ballistics a patched round ball has on a deer, or if I’ll have to track them far. Obviously shot placement is key, but from your story it seems that a round ball is no slouch compared to like a sabot or conical,if the shooter does his part.
Think about how many deer and bear were killed during the 18th and 19th centuries with lead round balls.

YouTube is a great place to lean. A few channels are, I love muzzleloadinf, Black Powder Maniac Shooter, Black Powder TV, B Kauffman, duelist1954. I have learned a lot from these channels. Also, don't be afraid to ask any questions here even if you think it's a dumb one. The people on the forum have been very helpful to me as well.

I haven’t done anything for ML because I am still looking for a penn or Ken flintlock or kit to build with my granddaughter. I’m almost 84 and not much time left
I would buy a traditions kit not as pricy as the others they go together very easily and shoot as good or better then any other kit out there that being said the locks can be hit or miss but are worth the added effort to have them tuned. you might talk to the people at Deer Creek or log cabin shop they may tune it for you if you buy the kit from them

Latest posts

Back