• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant67

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi all just starting out in black powder ,whats a good handgun to have ,ive been told to go for a 44 rugar or a remington and not a 36 ball is this right :confused:

If you are just shooting targets don't get hung up on the bigger is better caliber thing. The smaller caliber will be slightly cheaper to shoot. Certainly the Rugar Old Army .44 is an outstanding gun and costs more than the Italian repros. Now, you have opened up the ol' Colt vs. Remington can of worms-good luck with that. If you have an opportunity to shoot the various models before you buy that will help you decide. I have always preferred the looks of the Remington New Army, so that's what I went with in .44, Target model, and am very pleased with it. I actually prefer to shoot my single shot Kentucky pistol, but that's just another fork in the road you will end up on now that you've gotten the BP bug.

I have .31, .36, and .45 caliber revolvers and they are ALL great fun to shoot. As far as preferring Colt over Remington, that is a personal choice. I would say to just get the one that is most readily available, at the best price; you know you are gonna get more! I personally do not have any brass framed revolvers, but a lot of guys do shoot them with mild loads and are perfectly happy with them. They are usually a little less expensive than steel framed guns. Emery

ant67 said:
hi all just starting out in black powder ,whats a good handgun to have ,I've been told to go for a 44 Rugar or a Remington and not a 36 ball is this right :confused:
The Ruger is an exceptionally fine gun and if you are not interested in having something that is Historically correct it should be at the top of your list. Historically, it does not represent any gun made prior to its introduction

If History is important to you then either the open top Colts or the full frame Remington will satisfy you.
There is defiantly a different "feel" between these guns so if it is at all possible hold one of each. Some people feel the Colts grip and balance represents the most "pointable" pistol.
In fact, Colt, when he brought out his 1873 Cartridge gun kept the same grip as his earlier 1851 Navy (.36 caliber).

The .36 is like shooting a very light .38 load and the .44 is like shooting a .38 Special.
Neither produce the sharp recoil of a smokeless powder gun, the recoil being like a smooth firm push.

Most modern shooters like the .44 a little better because it does make a bigger boom.

Regardless of what you end up with I'm sure you will be more than pleased when you aim your new gun and squeeze off a shot. That big BOOM and cloud of smoke is enough to please any shooter. :)

NOW JUST A DOGGONE SECOND.... Don't leave out the lesser known BP pistols/revolvers. I like to use my Rogers&Spencer, it's a .44 caliber. My son and others love the LeMat 9 shots, plus the shotgun barrel. Don't forget others like the Whitney, or the Starr both in single and double action. And the Spiller&Burr. And Dixie sells a M1873 Percussion revolver that looks like a peace maker of the old west.
Don't just limit yourself to the basic types of either the Colt or Remington, or Ruger(not made any longer). I own a several of the ones mentioned above along with the Colt and Remingtons.
I have them in both .36 and .44 calibers, it just depends on what I want to use that day, or what I am going after. My selection even comes down to what I need for the weekends' impression of civil war reenacting.
You will want to hold and shoot as many different ones as you can. Sometimes it just seems to be what speaks to you when you hold it. In other words there isn't any wrong revolver just what feels right to you. :thumbsup:

Welcome ant67!

You have been given some good information here and will no doubt get even more. :)

If I might also add my humble opinion, you may wish to take a squint over the sights of the various types of revolvers to decide which style you like best, or are able to see most clearly (says me with aged eyes! :grin: ).

The Colt repros have the notched hammer rear sight - of varying size. The Remingtons and Rugers have grooved top-straps or square patridge-style rear sights, depending upon model. Just decide which one is best for you at this point.

Next month, you can get another one of a different style and have even more fun!

At any rate, best of luck to you.

I like the .44 colt army. Good looks, and feels right in my hand. Also points like my index finger.

Yes PP. (You don't mind me calling you PP do you?) I agree that there are many other Cap & Ball pistols out there to choose from.

About the only ones I would not recommend to a new comer is the Remington NEW MODEL POCKET, the Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon if it doesn't have a loading lever and the 1855 Colt Roots Model.
IMO, these are too small for the average person to shoot well.

I would also caution any new comer to first handle the Colt Dragoons and the Colt Walker before buying one.
All of these pistols are very heavy (up to 4 1/2 pounds, unloaded) and may be way more than the new buyer expected.
While the Walker is indeed a true powerhouse and commands respect from all who view it it was never intended to be carried "on the hip" (although some people do :rotf: )

No Problem Zonie, you can call me PP if you wish--just don't swear at me is all :haha:. I agree about the smaller and larger pistols. Especially If you havn't handled it first. My son has the ity-bitty Rem .31 and he doesn't like the flash right next to his knuckles when he fires it. He says he gets a flash burn.

I agree the Rogers & Spencer would make an excellent first bp revolver, but I would not suggest a Starr.

Agree with Zonie on his list of 'not for first timers'.

But all the rest are wonderful!

thanks everyone,ive got my work cut out ,but in a good way :) i think i will go out to my local club when i know they have alot of black powder guns there ,hope to try out a few and take it from there ,the way the law is here ,dont know if its the same over there is i have to have the size of the ball on my firearms form before i buy a gun,and when money is better will get a few rifles :) i already have a 10/22,mosin nagant m44 and a 1894 winchester .44,but realy want to get into black powder :)

Hello All,

I've owned a great number of firearms in my time and when it come to black power revolvers, it's the 1861 Navy that floats my boat.

Now the deal is this, the Colts are more "pointable" and the Remingtons are more rugged.

I've been a 1861 man since 1974. I've tried others, the Dragoon, Walker, Pocket Police, 1851 Navy, but none makes me smile like a 1861 Navy.

It's light, fast, pointable, more powerful than the 1851 Navy thanks to it's ratcheting loading lever.

What fits will depend on your hand size. I have smaller hands for a man of my size (6 ft tall).

In my case I can make a good 51 or 61 Navy sing.

I have a shooting partner who favors the larger frame guns and he can shoot his Dragoon pretty darn well. He has big hands and is 50 pounds lighter than me and about 2 inches shorter. :hmm:

Handle a few before you buy.

Cheers,

DT

I would also caution any new comer to first handle the Colt Dragoons and the Colt Walker before buying one.
All of these pistols are very heavy (up to 4 1/2 pounds, unloaded) and may be way more than the new buyer expected.
While the Walker is indeed a true powerhouse and commands respect from all who view it it was never intended to be carried "on the hip" (although some people do )

They weren't called horse pistols for naught. :wink:

Ant67 - I live in the UK and I also shoot BP. I have a Ruger Old Army and a second series Colt Walker. The ROA, as most end up calling it, also has a very small grip like the Colt, but I have both Hogue [rubbery] and Herrett [great-looking and comfortably bigger] wooden] grips for it as the whim takes me.

The Walker is fun to shoot, but uses almost as much of our expensive black powder powder as a .58 Musketoon carbine if you stoke it up, whereas the ROA will shoot happily all day long on loads of around 25gr or so with round ball.

There are bound to be quite a few BP handguns if you are a member at any of the bigger clubs - and buying second-hand is a powerful saver. Sadly the ROA production ceased in fall last year, so the yare now fetching premium prices new, up to £550 and more] and most folks won't part with them. I've had mine since 1986, and if I had a son, I'd be leaving it to him. The Walker is a great conversation piece, that's for sure, but you really don't want to be holding it up there for long - around five pounds loaded and ready.

Let us know what you settle on, and if you are ever around Oundle, post notice of your dates, and come shoot with us!

Best wishes -

tac

Ant67,

I'm brand new to pistols and BP. I perused the message boards and settled on the Pietta 1858 Remington New Army from Cabela's which is currently on sale for $189+$5 shipping.

The reason I decided on this as my first gun is because removing/changing the cylinder simple and because it is supposed to be a bit more user friendly in general than the Colts. For $39 I'm going to order another cylinder so I can shoot 12 before reloading.

I shot 36 rounds through it today and it was a blast. I went to Walmart and picked up some 25yd targets and was hitting the black by the end of the shoot. I spend some time getting used to the sighting and trigger but was pretty comfortable by the end.

Tomorrow I'm going to target shoot some more and may even try pointing to see where it ends up. :)

I am going to get a colt next, probably the 1861.

Bill

I hafta say that the Remington Model 1858 Army has a good-sized grip, a solid frame, and feels good in the paw - add to that that every one I've ever shot was VERY accurate, and you have a winner. There are three new ones for sale in our local gun-store for around the £200 mark, on secondhand in a nice wooden case with all the bits for only £15 more.

BTW - here in yUK we are not allowed to have more than one cylinder for a revolver- the threat to public safety is apparently just too much for the authorities fo contemplate.... :rotf:

Ant67 - the next thing you HAFTA do is to get into casting your own bullets! Get a Lee mould of the appropriate size - usually .451" - an electric melting pot and a set of safety glasses and you're off!

With ball here cosing around £12 per hundred, I have been casting my own ball, conicals, Minies and long-range bullets for the last twenty years using scrap Victorian plumbing lead from our old house in Chester, and still have around 300 pounds left...

Loadsa luck, all you noobs!

tac

tac -
The ROA has a 'very small grip' and the 1858 Remington has a 'good sized grip'?

Not on mine.

mykeal said:
tac -
The ROA has a 'very small grip' and the 1858 Remington has a 'good sized grip'?

Not on mine.

Guess it depends what make of Remington replica you have, eh?

The ROA grip is the same as on the Blackhawk - to me THAT is pretty small.

tac

Latest posts

Back