• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Patch Lube Do You Like?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio Joe

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What patch lube do you fine folks like??? I perfer a 50/50 mix of T/C 1000 Plus and Crisco Veg. Shortening. I can't tell the differance in performance and it's sure easier on the bank account. I've been using this blend for close to seven years now. :)

#13 or Wonder Lube for me...
Don't use Crisco, my shots always hit low...

Mayby thats because it's Shortening... :haha:

"Spit" fer shoots, and "bear-oil/bee's-wax" fer hunt'n!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Natural Lube 1000 is all I've used for 15 years starting with an inline, then sidelock percussions, then flintlocks, with both Pyrodex and Goex. It's in prelubed wonder wads & prelubed patches, it's the lube on my maxi-hunters, and what I use to coat the bores after shooting and cleaning sessions. The stuff has been outstanding for me and eliminates any need to wipe between shots...

I've used Wonderlube 1000, Crisco, an experimental batch of beeswax and olive oil (can't tell the exact proportions,just kept mixing until it 'felt' right, and Bore Butter. Of them all, I like Bore Butter the best and use it to make my own prelubed patches with .018 pillow ticking from Wal-Mart.

Have used saliva, oilve oil, Old Zip, Blue & Grey, T/C #13, Crisco & various home-brewed mixtures of Crisco, mutton tallow and beeswax.

Then I tried T/C Natural Lube 1000+ and the ease of not having to wipe between shots caused me to drop everything else cold - even though it's not 'period.'

I carry mine in a shoe-polish tin with the paint baked off and load from a block.

I use moose milk. Which is a combination of NAPA water soluable cutting oil, water, and a little Murphy's Oil Soap. It works really good.

I mix the solution up in a big jar. I then have all my cotton pillow tick ready, torn into 2" strips. Then I soak them in the jar of moose milk. I then ring the moose milk out of the stip and lay that strip on an old window screen so it will dry from both sides.

When it has almost dried, (still damp) I roll it up and put it in a zip lock plastic bag. I used to dry it all the way and then spritz it before using, but this new way seems to take the spritz step out of the picture.

The entire point is you want the cloth still damp, but not wet enough to contaminate the powder charge... Then just set the ball under the muzzle and cut the strip off with a patch knife. This way you always have a perfect patch.

I use half Murphy Oil Soap and half 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. Can't get it any more, but K-mart has 91 percent. The rest is water, is why I don't use rubbing alcohol at 70%. Mix it in a squeeze bottle to lube at the bench. Or prelube the patches at home. I cut round ones with gasket cutters. Store them in a capbox, about 25 at a time. May have to relube them in the box, they'll dry out in about two weeks. For thick patches, I use 10 ounce cotton duck from Wal Mart, it is about .020 thick. Their pillow ticking doesn't seem to work well any more. With this lube, I never have to clean between shots, maybe up to 30 or 40 at a test session.

I have noticed throughout this forum that the variety of patch lubrication runs a gambit from spit to beeswax, moose milk in all its varieties and the old standby 1000 natural lube. Myself, I change my lubrication depending on where I'm shooting. If I'm at a black powder match I use strips covered with moose milk if I'm out target shooting I use cut patches covered with moose milk but when I'm out hunting and there's a possibility my rifle might not be fired for a week I use 1000 natural lube.

Five or six years ago after muzzleloader season I had forgot about leaving my Great Plains pistol loaded and didn't realize I did so till the next October. I was going to just pull the ball but I figured what the heck so I squirted a little moose milk down the barrel, shook it out and then fired it. After cleaning the pistol, I illuminated the barrel to check the rifling out next to the breach plug , there wasn't any pitting.

The point I'm trying to make, that I've had good luck with 1000 natural lube when my guns was left loaded for an extended period of time.

I use a 3:1 mix of crisco and beeswax.
Once melted and combined it makes for a great patch or conical lube.
you can throw in a dash of canola oil to loosen it up a bit if needed.

huntin

Back