• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What rifle caliber for fall Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What rifle caliber would be best for fall turkey hunting? I have a 36 Seneca, but I wonder if it has enough power to take a big Gobbler. Has anyone had experience on fall turkeys? My 50 cal. flintlock, seems like too much.

Just my own opinion after putting the serious crawling sneak on tom with a long Kentucky rifle... shorter is better and .36 is just fine!

PS,
The cap went pop, the turkey took off like a covey of quail and then the rifle went boom. Learned one of life's great lessons that day.

GoodCheer said:
....Learned one of life's great lessons that day.

And what lesson was that???

When that happened to me several years ago on a damp afternoon deer hunt in Southern Virginia, I learned to never againg use Pyrodex. :shake:

Goex has never failed me in damp weather. Enjoy, J.D.

.36 will work just fine. Aim high so you clip the spine and won't ruin a lot of breast meat. Front shots at neck level usually work well, side shots too but be sure they're high. The Seneca and Cherokee rifles are good guns for that kind of hunting since their fast twist will let you use smaller loads for accurate work.

I appreciate all the response. I've taken several turkeys,(with modern firearms), shooting them, just the way you've described. My small game experience, with a muzzle loader, is non existent.

I think the 36 Seneca, will shot a pretty good group at about, 40 yards. That is about the limit, for my eyes, these days.

I intend to hunt turkeys next Spring with my .36 flintlock. It's very accurate with 40 grains 3f which should make an excellent turkey load.

Your .36 will do just fine! Have taken turkey with my .40 using 25 grs. of 3F with no problems. Dan.

32 and 36 is perfect. aim where the wings join the body and you got your bird. Little meat destruction and you have something that will outdistance a shotgun.

That's seems strange to me but then, I've never been to Washington, sad to say. Between big trout and bigfoot, sounds like a hoot!

Back