• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what stick welding rod blues the best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am about to do a little stick welding and I am curious which one will accept blueing the best.

Thanks

What are you going to weld?

What you are going to weld will determine the proper electrode for the job.

Electrodes come in mild steel, hi-carbon steel, special alloy steels, cast iron alloys, and non ferrous. They also come in a variety of tensile strengths as you probably know.

You should select your electrode to be as near the composition of the base metal as possible and also at least as strong.

Most of your common welding would be done with E6013, E6011, E7014 or E7018 rods which would fall in either mild steel or high carbon steel ASTM classifications. The 60 rods being 60,000 psi tensile strength and the 70 rods being 70,000 psi tensile strength. Any of these should blue alright. 6013 and 6011 are essentially the same rod, the only difference is that 6013 has a rag based coating and 6011 has a different coating which makes it penetrate deeper. 7014 and 7018 are the low hydrogen rods and work better on hi carbon steels. I have had good luck running them all, they machine well, and will blue well.

Back