• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What type of powder substitute to use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting my cap and ball pistols using Goex black powder. I would like to try a black powder substitute that might be cleaner. What is a good type that has the same loads as black powder.

Thanks,
Logan

Does triple 7 burn as fast and as well as black powder? How many cylinders doe you get out of that substitute before you have to clean?

logan said:
I have been shooting my cap and ball pistols using Goex black powder. I would like to try a black powder substitute that might be cleaner. What is a good type that has the same loads as black powder.

Thanks,
Logan
You asked for a substitute that "has the same loads as black powder". Triple Seven does not meet that criteria; it is 10 to 15% "hotter" than real black powder, so you need to reduce the 777 load by 10 to 15% to get the same load.

Triple Seven has a higher ignition temperature (as do all the substitutes) and burns a bit faster. You will actually get more loads out of a pound of Triple Seven than real black powder if you observe the 10 to 15% reduction rule of thumb, which is highly recommended. It also burns cleaner and the combustion byproducts are easier to clean up.

I do not have a lot of experience with substitute powders so I can't really recommend one that meets your criteria of having the same load but burning cleaner. I'll leave that to others. I just wanted you to be aware of the Triple Seven load reduction issue.

I use 777 whenever Goex is not available.

I have used Pyrodex 'P' granulation with great results and meets the 'clean burn' requirement. volume for volume it's a little hotter than BP 3F but seems it's cleaner IMO. best results when shooting max. charges it seems.
down side to me seems harder to clean the cylinder after much firing, have to soak and scrub. the flash around the cylinder and the barrel is no more difficult and maybe easier than BP tho.

I too use Pyrodex P. Clean shooting, I don't have any of the gunking-up problems that others talk about with BP. I have been shooting the real stuff in my rifles and am seriously thinking about going back to pyrodex because of the difference in fouling.

why not try pinnicle 3fg, I've been using it out of a 30+ year old 1861 whitny revolover, and accuracy is right on track, I use 10 grains of 3fg pinnicle and fill the remander of cylinder with loose corn meal and then seat the .375 diam ball on top,and fill the front with mcm lube cap it off with cci percussion capes and she shoots at point of aim, 6 shots with in 1" at 20 paces, bad thing pinnicle is not allowed in n-ssa events .k

Logan I shoot pyrodex p in my pistols and coat the cylinder with crisco.The crisco breaks down the fouling in the barrel. The pyrodex p shoots very good and the clean up is real easy.

I shoot 777 exclusively in my C&B pistols and cartridge arms of the period. 20gr fffg in my .36 Navy, 30gr fffg in my .44s and 30gr fffg in my .44-40 iron framed Henry. The Navy pistol is my squirrel getter! It is simply as accurate as any revolver I own out to 20 yards! It will shoot right next to my S&Ws and Colts.

Dan

I have used American Pioneer Powder FFF in my 1860 Army revolvers. Lots of smoke, and cleanup like Triple 7, without that powder's pressure spike issue (I've fired 80 grains APP FF out of a Snider... by contrast, over 55 grains Triple 7 in the same rifle is not considered advisable.)

Victor

I've never had as good of luck with Pyrodex as the others apparently have. To me it fouls more and the fouling is harder to clean. When Pyrodex first came on the market, I jumped on it, being young and dumb and assuming newer must be better. It took me a few years to realize that it was more trouble than it was worth and I came back to black.

logan said:

Thanks,
Logan

I have not used real black yet. That being said, I have used T7 and pyrodex. I have always gotten best results from pyrodex P (3fff equivelent). I have a colt Walker. I do not have an issue with it getting all gummed up at the range and cleaning at home is quick and easy. I also use crisco on top of the cylinders.

I never used real BP, Triple Seven fffg and a little corn meal seems to be the best way for me, it cleans up real nice.

Back