• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would be in your kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Scenario: Hunting with patched round ball. Flying into AK wilderness by small plane weight is a limiting factor to all of your gear! So, in order to have everything you might need to keep your rifle functioning 100% and trying to anticipate all possible problems, What would be in your kit?

marmotslayer said:
Scenario: Hunting with patched round ball. Flying into AK wilderness by small plane weight is a limiting factor to all of your gear! So, in order to have everything you might need to keep your rifle functioning 100% and trying to anticipate all possible problems, What would be in your kit?
I don't know how this reply relates to the weight factor, but I know what "I" would do:
I'd take two completely functioning rifles (or smoothbores) in the same caliber (or gauge) and one set of all the support items I normally take to the range or a local hunt to avoid having to abort either activity.

If weight is really a huge issue, you might check to see if there's any opportunity to ship yourself a package of items ahead of time / separately.

Along with essential shooting supplies (ball, patch, powder, patch lube, oil, flints & screwdrivers that fit ALL lock screws), I would bring along an extra set of springs (mainspring, sear spring and frizzen spring), a spring vise and an extra set of screws for various lock parts. You could extend this further to bringing along an extra set of all lock internals (tumbler, bridle and sear in addition to springs and screws). It would, at most, add a couple of pounds.

roundball said:
I'd take two completely functioning rifles (or smoothbores) in the same caliber (or gauge)

An extra gun in camp has been our standard now in almost 40 years of fly-outs. Even if your own gun functions perfectly, it always seems that someone else's fails. The "spare" gun has saved countless hunts over the years.

But about 30 years ago I started "refining" the arrangement. Since weather and normal game movements can push them all over the terrain from one day to the next, you can't really count on your hunting circumstances. My spare gun has evolved to become one that's different than my first choice in ways that make it ideal for a terrain switch.

In my CF rifles for example, I carry a scoped bolt while my spare is an open-sighted lever. Last time out with the ML's my first choice was a long barreled 58, while second was a short-barreled 58. The smaller versions in both CF and ML will still suffice in more open country, but are aces when the game moves into really tight cover. Last time out, the short gun got all the action, though there wasn't a thing wrong with my long version. It was raining and windy the whole time, so the deer (and bears) were holed up tight.

6 of us go elk hunting. Most of us have siler locks on our guns. We bring one extra lock to scavenge parts from if needed and all tools needed to tear one apart and put it back together.

It's a pretty small tool roll even with the lock.

We've never needed it but it's nice to have one.

Ball puller, patch worm, jags, etc.

In addition to the idea of your best rifle and extra parts...., I'd take something in .44 mag at least but might go for something in .500 S&W. You can get a handi-rifle in .500 S&W. I wouldn't mess around in AK with only a flintlock or caplock to depend upon vs. bears. Sorry this mentions modern gear, but you did mention..

trying to anticipate all possible problems

LD

For sure some good backup. Lewis and Clark noted that although their guns were capable of killing a bear it took the bear too long to die and general havoc ensued in the interim. :hatsoff:

Extra lock, spare ramrod, flints, small ladle and mold and some spare lead. Maybe an extra horn of powder in my pack.

flyfisher76544 said:
Extra lock, spare ramrod, flints, small ladle and mold and some spare lead. Maybe an extra horn of powder in my pack.

If you take a quality brass ramrod you will not need a spare. If you take 50 balls, you will not need a ladle, mold and spare lead. Take a brass powder container, it won't break or crack in zero degree weather.

Baggies are good to put things in so they do not get wet. Electrical tape to stop rain water from running in to the barrel or running up the barrel when swimming a horse when crossing a creek, electrical tape is really a good thing for hunting in Alaska. Horses, pick the tallest horse in the group, it will walk when the rest aare swimming, your rifle is dry.

Buy the very best optics you can afford, cheap will hurt your eyes. Zeiss is the minimum.

Only listen to folks who have "been" to Alaska or who live there. Folks who have not been there do not have a clue on reality and surviving.

You did not mention if you are walking or hunting off horses. Hunting off horses changes all the rules on handling rifles and transporting them, you need a scabbard for horses.

Clothes you need to talk with your outfitter on what you need. Hunting in North Carolina close to your truck is different than being stuck on a mountain over night in the freezing rain and can not get back to your camp.

Trust your outfitter, not folks who have not been there. Bush planes are small, not much room for a lot of excess and spare guns for each person.

Have been there and spent nights on mountains with not shelter or a cabin.

Richard Eames said:
You did not mention if you are walking or hunting off horses. Hunting off horses changes all the rules on handling rifles and transporting them, you need a scabbard for horses.

After more than 20 years owning and using horses up here, they're even more specialized than contending with a muzzleloader in blowing rain.

If you have an outfitter with horses, fine. Let them deal with the critters and tack and their care. You don't EVEN want to complicate your mind or your life with stock.

Have a nice gay, oh, do you know how Hal Waugh is, I have spent time with him.

Just reading all this makes me all the more longing to go on a costal big grizzly hunt in Alaska. Staying young :wink: and winning the lotto will have to happen before I get to fulfill that dream. :(

Richard Eames said:
take a quality brass ramrod you will not need a spare. If you take 50 balls, you will not need a ladle, mold and spare lead. Take a brass powder container, it won't break or crack in zero degree weather.

The original poster asked what to bring in case of a worst case scenario. Sooooooo, yeah I would still pack the stuff I mentioned. :blah:

roundball said:
marmotslayer said:
I don't know how this reply relates to the weight factor, but I know what "I" would do:
I'd take two completely functioning rifles (or smoothbores) in the same caliber (or gauge) and one set of all the support items I normally take to the range or a local hunt to avoid having to abort either activity.

If weight is really a huge issue, you might check to see if there's any opportunity to ship yourself a package of items ahead of time / separately.

It is hard to argue with the idea of taking a spare rifle as well as at least a small repair kit. Considering what an Alaska hunt can cost buying a spare rifle is very reasonable insurance against having to sit in camp with nothing to shoot. Expect rain. I get some mileage out of a broad wool hat keeping my head and lock dry(ish) if it is not too windy too. Take pictures. Have fun.

After listening to you blokes, reckon I will stay in sunny Western Australia and be happy hunting really dangerous Skippys and rabbits with my Lancaster !!! I do believe hunting in Alaska is something else and would be an amazing experience with the right outfitter. Reckon a spare lock, ramrod, ball puller and spare horn of powder would be a good thing. And my Dragoon in case I run into a raging Koala, near as dangerous as a Kodiak so I am told
Most interesting discussion

Cheers

Heelerau :grin:

Heelerau said:
...and would be an amazing experience with the right outfitter.

You got it! Local knowledge of specific locations, species and seasons is priceless. Their help in the field is right up there, too.

Back