• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's a good load for this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm having Bobby Hoyt bore out a TC 56 smooth bore to 62. What kind of loads would you recommend for rabbits and turkey? The barrel is one inch across the flats. I would think it could handle the same loads as the Green Mountain 62 barrels could??

My 62 likes 115 Grains of 2f, 1 1/2 ounce of shot #6,or #4's. Now my double 12 ga CVA likes 120 grains 2f, and a modern wad (saves the barrel from the steel shot) with 2 ounces of steel BB's for ducks and geese.

For rabbits I like 7/8 oz of shot with 60 grains of powder. Just dandy.

Dunno about turkeys.

For ptarmigan I use 1 oz of shot with 60 grains of powder. I'm guessing it would be dandy for quail and grouse too, but haven't had the pleasure yet.

I use 50-60 gr. 2F and equal volume, about 7/8 oz., #6 for rabbits, about 80 gr. 3F and 1 3/8 oz. #6 for turkeys with good results in my cylinder bore .62.

Spence

You pay attention to George,
His notebook that was available until just recently on-line helped me figure out what/how to load for smoothbore shot,, long before I knew he was a member here.

there's an olde adage;
Less powder more lead,
shoot's further kills dead.

it's all about getting the shot in a pattern, not about how fast the lead moves.

necchi said:
You pay attention to George,
His notebook that was available until just recently on-line helped me figure out what/how to load for smoothbore shot,, long before I knew he was a member here.

His site is still up. One of my favorite places online!

pab1 said:
His site is still up. One of my favorite places online!
Yep! Me too. I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone getting into this sport! :wink: :thumbsup:

Back