• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

whats needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant67

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi all ,just getting into muzzle loading,got my fal back ,now i can get my revolver,what other bits do i need to get ,to get started.

What type of revolver are you thinking of getting?
1- powder
2- flask
3- adjustable powder measure
4- proper size balls
5- good lubricant for over the top of the chambers
6- proper size percussion caps
7- cleaning rods and related equipment,oil or WD-40 or similar
8- dishwashing liquid or something for cleaning
9- a few simple tools for breaking the revolver down for cleaning and assembly
10- safety glasses and hearing protection

This should be enough to get you started. Read the literature that comes with the revolver for the recommended bullet size, cap size and powder charge. Start out shooting the revolver from a sand bag to see where it is printing on the target. Once you figure all of that out, then you will probably find yourself looking at other black powder guns and related items. Most of all have fun. :thumbsup:

thanks for that,its all on my shopping list now ,getting it all next week.i want to get a 44 revolver ,not sure what one yet ,will know when its in my hand

Well, I've been out of blackpowder since the early 80's but getting a Pietta .44 cal 1858 Rem for christmas rekindled the spark.

I have promptly went out and got:
4 lbs Pyrodex P
4 tins of Rem #10 caps
5 pks of lubed wads
1 Rem flask with 6 different size spouts and filler funnel
1 Traditions powder measure (5-45 gr adjustable)
200 Hornady swaged balls (half .451/.454)
1 5 oz. tube "Bore Butter"
1 8 OZ of T17 BP bore solvent
4 little containers of anti-seize lube
2 containers of 100 ea TC Cleaning patches pretreated with No.13 Bore cleaner
2 nipple wrences from RMC (1 short/1 long double ended)

Yes, I tend to go overboard...I have over 50,000 rds of ammo for my modern firearms.

I can't help myself.... :surrender: :thumbsup:

i must be becoming one of them :grin: not had my rifles long got a mosin nagant ,a10/22 ruger and a 1892 winchester ,now getting a 44 revlover and a k98,i thought that would be it ,now i want a blackpowder rifle and a 303 enfield :grin: where is it going to end :hmm:

a 7.62X39 case makes a good powder (3F) measure for a 'hot' load in .44's.
a .357mag case is a good 'warm' load measure.
a .38spcl case is a good 'target' load measure.
felts over powder tightens groups for me. punch out of 1/8" felt w/a 15/32nd" punch.
windsheild washer fluid in a spray bottle is a good clean-up mix. get the winter mix it has more alky in it. it really cuts the crud. an old toothbrush is handy to scrub tight spots with.
white hand cleaner is also good for a wipe-down when you don't have the time to take down the revolver and clean thoroughly. like when you are camped out.
good luck and welcome to the most fun part of BP shooting IMO.

Latest posts

Back