• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When did Cabelas make a .58 Hawkin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhwestfall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across a Cabela's "Hawken" (likely Investarms as barrel is Spanish) in .58 at a local hole in the wall shop. Gun is really clean. I've never seen anything by Cabela's over a .54...

Anybody know when these were made, and if they are "okay"? I have a CVA .58 Mountain Rifle, and was looking for another .58 similar to it.

I'm not into any PC stuff, just a good shooter.

BobW

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

I got one in a package deal about 5-6 years ago . They were a "sporter/hawkin" style. Good gun,accurate and lighter than a 50 or 54 since it had a 15/16" barrel. Only reason I sold it was to make room for another gun.The guy I sold it too has dropped a few deer with it. He wanted it for elk hunting.
If it's a good price I'd get it...

BobW
I have one and it does a great job. I use 75gr FF Goex and .562 PRB. It does have a 15/16 barrel,28 inch, 1/48 twist. If it looks like this one you will be happy with it. I'm hunting deer with mine now. No luck yet. but its good shooter with my eyes to 75yds. Not sure when they made them but they don't make them any more.
Hacksaw

58CALCabelas014.jpg

The last time I remember seeing a .58 in their catalog was in 1991. That's just the last time I "remember".

I found one in flint 2 years ago at Dixons and brouight it home with me. Yes it is made by Investarms. It is made in Italy not Spain.
The rifel is very accurate with PRBs and with Lee target minis- the ones that look like garbage cans with the flat nose.
Try to stay away from huge powder charges, 70 grains is fine. I think the data booklet says you can use 110 grains but thats much more than I would want to deal with.

I also have one. Mine shoots prb good with 105 grains of 2f or pyrodex rs. It is a cap gun. I like to carry it as the 15/16 barrel makes it balance good. Would like to have one in flint. It was a sad day when they stopped selling them. Its a good Elk gun light enough and deadly. Larry Wv

It's been quite a few years back that they made the .58. I've been trying to find one without any luck. About 5 years ago I got a good deal on the barrel. I'm going to fit it to my T/C Hawken.

Latest posts

Back