• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to spit patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Most of my shooting at the range has been with spit patches. I read in another post that spit patches should only be used when the gun will be fired right after loading. This pretty much rules out using it for hunting. Is range shooting about the only time spit patches are usefull? I guess the long hunters and trappers didn't do it much, since they never knew when their next shot would be.

I spit patch for target shooting only. When going hunting I will prelube the patches and load up a loading block. This way they are ready when I need them, and they do not dry out.

I believe that the problem with using a spit patch is not so much that it wets the powder as that repeatedly leaving the wet patch against the mild steel for extended time could cause rusting in the barrel.

Sort of on this topic, would using something like Lehighs cause the same problems as using spit? I have always used mink oil or bear grease for my lubrication.

lonesomebob said:
shoould not matter if you are using a wad between the powder and all. :v

Spit patches are for loading and fire, now, not for shooting later. Wads, or no wads, a resulting rusted bore is not a good thing.

I thought the main problem with spit patching and then leaving the rifle loaded was that the patch would no longer be lubed when fired. If all the spit evaporates off before being fired that would be just like firing a PRB with no lube. Is this the big problem with spit patch?

Yes, but the main problem is a rusty ring you get where the ball is seated when the patch dries out in the barrel. You will work that much harder to get the crud out of a gun that is fired with a dry patch. ( I am not referring, of course, to a patch that has a dry lube in it.)

I don't spit patch at all. I ain't about to go chawin' on cloth, and it's a dry climate here anyway so I don't know that it would do much good. I prelube patches at home. I carry some spare dry patches and my lube in case I run out of prelubed ones. I prefer to keep things as consistant as I can so I use the same prelubed patches to hunt with.

Back