• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I just a few weeks ago found out that the woods behind my house is a good place to hunt and possibly to shoot, that's rather sad seeing as I've lived here since 2005 and never reconned the place!

Anyway, I am going to do some walking up there soon and have a look around....it would be great if I can set up a range up there...

So where do you guys shoot? Official gun range? Private club? Your yard? Woods? Rock quarry?

Greg

It all depends on my intetions. I am fortunate that the company I work for maintains an outdoor range and hunting area for its employees, if I am working on a gun or setting sights/scope this is where I go. My friends and I go to a local WMA shooting range for fun shooting, this also provides us a chance to interact with other shooters and introduce them to REAL MUZZLELOADING.

Local shootin' club,10 miles away, $100.00 bucks a year, great place, burms at 50 and 200 yrds but you can shoot anywhere in between. Best thing is It's locked and gated, every member gets a key and there are no crazies just blazing away, everyone is aganist it that I've run into.

I have hundreds of acres of state game area open to hunting and shooting within walking distance of my place. That`s where I go when I just feel like plinking at targets of opportunity, practice reloading from my pouch, etc.
If I want to use a bench to work on a load for a new gun or adjust sights or something I usually drive down to my brothers place. He`s not to far from here and has a private 100yd range on his property.
Every once in awhile I`ll end up at one of the local shooting clubs around here with a friend or somebody, but for the most part I like to avoid those kind of places where they have organized shoots with range officers and all that.

I second that! The back yard is where most of my shooting and hunting is done.....400 acres of beans and corn with about 30 acres of woods and tree rows thrown in the mix....

Ranger

Love shooting in my backyard! Matter of fact my family gets together for the holidays, has a feast, and then takes all our guns out and shoots. Today we had about 10 guns out and laid waste to some cans, target paper, and an old dryer after our Thanksgiving lunch. We love living out in the country. Just call the neighbors and let 'em know not to be alarmed when the gunfire starts, it's just some good ol' boys and our women having a good time. One of the best parts was teaching and letting my son shoot my 1851 navy. I thought he was going be a little scared, but he couldn't wait until the next cylinder was loaded!

Public land. Tons of it around here. I go to different places in the hills.

005-2_zpsf520d0b5.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5059_zps018b9e2b.jpg

laffindog said:
Stumpkiller said:
Back yard.

I hate you.

:bow: :surrender:

Was not always so. We/I picked a home that had a good 1/2 mile shooting lane to the back hill.

Enough land to raise some chickens or goats or sheep or whatever plus woods to hunt deer in.

Long time coming.

Here in New Jersey I travel to a range provided by Fish and Wildlife at Collier's Mills. It's 34 miles from the house, but it's free and seldom crowded. It has covered benches and hundred yard shooting but is restricted to shotguns, .22 rifles, and muzzleloaders. No pistols, because this is still New Jersey.

I built a permenant bench at the back of the house. It is 100 yds to the woods, nothing but woods for a mile. I can load off the bench or in the basement shop.
I have a very understanding little woman that also likes to shoot now and then.
David

My own private range complete with target shed,and berms out to 300 yards plus two shooting benches and one loading bench.

Stumpkiller said:
laffindog said:
Stumpkiller said:
Back yard.

I hate you.

:bow: :surrender:

Was not always so. We/I picked a home that had a good 1/2 mile shooting lane to the back hill.

Enough land to raise some chickens or goats or sheep or whatever plus woods to hunt deer in.

Long time coming.

I had a similar set up for many years. Walk out the back door, shoot targets, gongs and even took a few deer from the back porch. The Ex-Wife ended up with that place boo hoo :cursing: I am fortunate that where I live now there is a gravel pit only three miles away where I can get up to 150 yards open shots but have to lug a ton of gear up there to do any serous bench shooting. The down side is that you have to be willing to put up with the other shooters who go there with their black guns with bump triggers making a lot of noise and flinging brass all over. There is also always a lot of trash/left over targets and cans etc. that people shoot and then leave without picking it up. Why do people do that? They're #!%&@ pigs if you ask me.

I have a 100 yard range here on the premises, but also belong to 2 clubs with ranges, one about 30 miles away, and another about 60 miles away that started out back of Mom and Dad's place 40 years ago.

I belong to a black powder club with a range about 35 miles away. has benches, covered shooting positions, 25, 50, 100 yard ranges, woods walk, place for shotguns, hawk and knife targets, etc. Costs only $20 a year, plus some work days. About 10 miles from my house is a giant state game area (giant area, not game) where I do a lot of plinking and some hunting. About 140 miles away is a plot of 80 acres with camping trailers. belongs to me and a partner. Lots of deer, grouse, woodcock, rabbit, etc. We spend a lot of time there, much of it with gun in hand. graybeard

I have nearly lost all my “dream” hunting spots. The farm behind my house was 320 acres and I had free range on it. I worked part time for the farmer. It has everything (game) on it. :grin:
But my wife's, mother's side of the, family all had ranches in Colorado. The one we hunted on most was 3500 acres with an additional leased “School Section” (640 acres). :thumbsup:

Deaths in the family and new owners (heirs) are in play now, plus some infighting, so I generally stay out of it. :(
The old farmer died and his daughter has control of it and does not allow hunters. :(
So it is mostly the back yard. :wink:

But I have had a wonderful unbelievable life with opportunities that most people never get so I am very content. :grin:

Back yard.
I have a 35 yard range set up with a back-stop. Could go further but I prefer the back stop as the surrounding woods do not belong to me.
My ml club range is about 40 miles away. There is a private club much closer but I don't belong.
A public range is about 40 miles the other direction but I don't use because it is unregulated and often has crazies present.

Back