• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to hunt Feral Pig?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwsjr

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in Hunting Wild Boar/hog. Does anyone know of any places Pennsylvania, NY or NJ where I can hunt or is this more prevalent in the south? I'm not interested in going to one of those exotic farms, where you see one every 50ft. I'd rather hunt them in the wild. I'm told that feral hogs are breading like mad, running wild, destroying farms and forest alike. I'd like to do my part to help control the feral hog population and I love to eat pork!

I also heard that in many states there is an open season on them. Is that true? I'd like to plan a trip for the spring 2010.

Your help is appreciated.

I heard that there are feral swine in central n.y been meaning to call the nys DEC to find out exact county. there is no restrictions and the nys DEC wants them eradicated because of the destruction to farmlands.

Today, I read in the Pennsylvania Game and Fish magazine that the Game Commission said there is unlimited taking of feral swine in 64 counties in PA. Muzzleloaders are an approved weapon. Give them a call to see where the main problems are; if the pigs are really a problem, the Fish & Game should be happy to let you know where they are.

Those hogs are bad for disease. We are lousy with them down here in GA. We have a big old tater fed country boy at work that hunts them with dogs and while the dog is keeping the head busy he grabs the hind legs and ties them. Somehow they get them all tied up, put them in a feed lot and feed them out for a few months,then they get butchered. Id rather just shoot them! Once in a while they have to sew up a dog on a tailgate
Ed

The best states to hunt feral hog are Texas, Florida and California. I know they are found in some isolated pockets in the north but you really need to have some sort of inside knowlegde. As an example in southwestern New Hampshire there is a large private hunting preserve called Corbin Park. It has been an exclusive club for one hundred years or more with elk and Russian wild boar. Escapees are allowed to be shot by any licensed hunter at any time of the year. Some are shot each year by locals who know where they break out of the fence.

Do I know where to go? Nope. I have some ideas but if I lived in that area I would have a much better chance of taking something.

If you want to hunt feral hogs you may want to take a winter vacation down in Florida and try your luck on a day hunt.

The NC Wildlife people say that, 'only in Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Jackson,Macon and Swain Counties are there wild hogs" the other 95 counties just have feral pigs, and they are not subject to hunting regulations...I've read that we in NC have hogs in all 100 counties...the Ohio fish and game people take the same stand..I understand that there is a good population in S.E. Ohio...Hank

Blizzard of 93 said:
fla, ga, and sc have lots of them too but from what I've read missouri is really over-run with them.

Last time I talked with a conservation officer in Mo he stated they are a shoot on site animal. No hunting regs on them.

I'd like to hunt them but it costs too much to travel and pay a fee to hunt on private property. I've hunted them in Tx.

Back