• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to shoot gobbler with a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be hunting with a .36 flintlock, using 40 grains 3f behind prb. Besides a head shot (hey, I'm not Alvin York!), where's the best place to anchor them?

I would say right where the wing intersects with the body. All the vitals are in that general area. It would be like shooting a deer right behind the front leg. At least thats where I would aim. I would forget about trying to hit in the head. Those things move around to much.

TurkeyDiagram.jpg

TurkeyVitals.jpg

Hope this helps.

Fort Fireman, Roundball, and Idaho PRB - Thanks for the advice. Idaho, those turkey illustrations and photos are very helpful!!

base of the neck or head.
I shoot and hunt with a 36 and that little bugger can do a lot of damage to turkies at close range.

It's the base of the neck for me.

The Texas heart shot is very effective but it tears up the breast meat.

The side shot is really a small area - hard to get it right, especially when he is puffed up- just as hard to hit as the base of the neck.

At the shot I want him to drop.

I have used a .32 on them = Bad Medicine, but, the .40 is my favorite.

Good advice as always "Aim small - Miss Small"

yup a few years back I hit a hen broad side with my 36 and blew the top of the breast off.
yuck what a mess.

Center of mass with a bow. Turkeys are like Buzzards around here. I give them away won't eat one. Every few years Blue tongue wipes the deer out and the ground Buzzards have a feast. Larry Wv

Turkeys with a rifle. I have been fortunate enough to kill several Gobblers with a rifle both 40 and 45 cal. I have shot them in both the side and front. Side shots have had mixed results some lethal some not. The one shot that has never failed is-- Turkey coming straight in to call aim right in the "V" of the breast bone above the beard. Turkey usually quits flopping before the smoke clears. This shot really works -Trust me. slicjack :)

A head or neck shot would do the trick if you think you could pull it off. But I understand that they just don't hold still for you for very long.

Back