• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where was New England?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Benjamin Franklin printed this cartoon in support of the Colonies banding together to fight in the French & Indian War. It's thought to be one of the first political cartoons in U.S. History.

The Colonies represented are; South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Massachusetts?, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and New England.

My question is... What geographic area was considered "New England" at that time?

JoinOrDie.gif

Immediately after posting my question, I found this regarding "New England".

In 1745, the area (New England) included the colonies of New Hampshire (established in 1741), Massachusetts (1620), Rhode Island (1635) and Connecticut (1639).

Claude, I've read extensively on our Founding Fathers, biography's and such, and geography is usually a part of their stories. In my memory I've not read any more of a description than you posted. So the short answer from me is no, I can't help any. It might be that's all there is....

Vic

I have two maps in a book entitled: "The American Heritage History of the Thirteen Colonies" (American Heritage Pub,. 1967). The first map is dated 1755 and titled "A MAP, Exhibiting English Rights, relative to the Ancient Limits of Acadia." New England is shown as following the southern "Konekticut" border, western edge is up the Hudson, through Champlain up to the St. Lawrence, east again to "Quebek" and south along the Chaudiere River, then "Keniibek" River to a spot on the Atlantic labeled as "Sagadahok"(?) The territory in Nova Scotia along the eastern border is labeled as "Norembega"

The second map is dated 1767 and shows the northeast corner going about a hundred miles farther out along the St. Lawrence to the mouth of the Salway R. and then down to the Atlantic where the St. Croix R. meets the ocean. Apparantly England won back or conquered the territory of "Norembega" in the F&I War.

Sorry. No scanner, no digital camera.

That wer about the time that them Englishmen took all o them French Acadians an shipped um down to the lower Mississippi an we's had Cajuns ever sense.

:e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e :e

13 Colon E's :winking: :haha:

Naw Mooskeetman, what ye's got thar is 13 colon E's (which are doctor talk fer Colon Exam). Ah don't like even one :E let alone 13 of um. (Am doctors are always a stickin thar nose (an who knows what else) in other peoples bizness don't ye know).

What ole Claude wer askin about are them new phone thins what rests yer cordless phone on yer shoulder while your a drivin yer car or runnin some other dangerous 4000 pound hunk o equipment. It are called the "Callin Ease" an sells for.......ye guessed it "$19.95 direct to YOU from New York City!!!!! (Which are just a little south of New England.)

us-benfr.gif

In 1754, Benjamin Franklin used a snake to illustrate another point in his Pennsylvania Gazette.

Franklin sketched, carved, and published the first known political cartoon in an American newspaper. It was the image of a snake cut into eight sections.

The sections represented the individual colonies and the curves of the snake suggested the coastline. New England was combined into one section as the head of the snake. South Carolina was at the tail. Beneath the snake were the ominous words "Join, or Die."

This had nothing to do with independence from Britain. It was a plea for unity in defending the colonies during the French and Indian War. It played off a common superstition of the time: a snake that had been cut into pieces could come back to life if you joined the sections together before sunset.

Musketman: You mean it won't :no: ::????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Gordy

WHAR WAS NEW ENGLAND???

Wal, as Ah remembers it thay wer on the one yard line, the score wer tied, it wer 4th down an thar wer 3 seconds left. Rite then ma mule (whats on the tredmill ta make my electric) got a case of tha *arts an stopped walkin!!!
The lites went out an the boob tube went black so's Ah don't kno what happened but Ah do know whar New England was.

Back