• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Kentucky to buy ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckr1952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Am new to BP,would like to buy a long rifle,I cant afford a custom gun so whats the nicest gun for the money? I'm pretty open minded from 36 to 50 cal. Try to keep in mind that I do like brass, thanks for any input you might have. CHUCKR

Are you set on a full stock gun? If not check out used T/C's you can usually get one at a fair price and unless thier barrels are all pitted up from neglect they are an excellent value.

Check the various forums for used guns this is often a way to get a semi custom at production cost.

chuckr1952 said:
Am new to BP,would like to buy a long rifle,I cant afford a custom gun so whats the nicest gun for the money? I'm pretty open minded from 36 to 50 cal. Try to keep in mind that I do like brass, thanks for any input you might have. CHUCKR

Buying the factory mades is like buying a car.
A decent custom will always be worth about what you paid for it unless really wrecked.
So the factory mades are really not a bargain.

Dan

What price range are you looking at? For not much more than the price of a production gun you can have a semi-custom from somebody like TVM.

fyrfyter43 said:
What price range are you looking at? For not much more than the price of a production gun you can have a semi-custom from somebody like TVM.

$600-700 max

caddo said:
Go for a used custom, lots of them on the different fourms.

Agreed. Either that or save a little while longer and have something built. I know TVM has about a 6-7 month wait, and only requires a minimum deposit when you place your order. The wait would give you a chance to save up.

Just thought of another option...you could check with Tip Curtis to see what he has in the white. It would require some sanding, and then finishing the wood and metal, but would be a way to save a few bucks.

Or you could get a GPR and have a few bucks left for powder and ball. But you specifically asked about a "Kentucky" longrifle, and a Lyman GPR does not fit that description.

I'm seeing the Blue Ridge and the Pedersoli Frontier (same gun) in the used listings here and there for $400-450 if your budget is tight. That's low enough I doubt the value will ever drop lower if you eventually resell, and meanwhile the extra savings over used custom might get you out there sooner. I've got a couple of them and no, they're not as well made as a custom. But they work just fine.

I would second the recommendation to look for a used custom. If you are patient you should be able to find something in that $700 range.

A few months back I found a Brian Turner made Haines style Early Lancaster with a Patchbox and Swamped Barrel in like new condition for $800.

I would also recommend that you talk to Jackie Brown. He could make you a plain Carolina or Appalachian Poor Boy for not much more than $700. He just made me a Virginia style .62 Smoothrifle with a Davis Early English Lock and a Patchbox for $825.The Patchbox added about $75 to the price.

The Pedersoli's are O.K. but IMHO you will be happier in the long run with something else.

Back