• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which side plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at originals you have lots of choices. The t was popular some times big. Iron Lancaster style was seen, simple tear drop washers were known. Some times a coin or a defaced coin, and none at all

For most of mine, I did an elongated oval but for the last one, I did an inverted half moon. I saw that on an original.
20200529_160424.jpg

.32 squirrel gun 5.JPG
20220505_173951.jpg

Last edited:
Refer to originals. They are actually very school specific. Several things they all had in common are cheap English hardware store locks, set triggers, and "usually" hand forged iron mounts. But the mounts were very school specific, and, in some areas, even brass mounts weren't unheard of.
Stocks were walnut or curly maple and rarely cherry.
If you're not reproducing a rifle from a specific area and just doing a generic "SMR", anything goes. Generic SMR's are the norm today, nobody seems to crack open a book anymore.
Buy Jerry Noble's 4 volumes on Appalachia rifles.

Seems that's how it is with about anything not just muzzeloaders. I will see if I can locate that book . Thanks
Reddogge I went with the to picture. That's what came with my parts. My biggest thing is the lock panels. That's the hardest for me and I'm not real sure on how they should be shaped. I like the looks if how I do them but have gotten several comments that they are not correct.

who cares...... why do you want something that every body else has. just make one that pleases you PC no such thing just because it hasn't been seen on a what ever dated gun doesn't mean that some one couldn't have thought of it and made it. case in point drawings on powder horns why do they all have to look like a 3 year old drew them? but the map horns are incredibly accurate? Audubon's drawings are incredibly lifelike so a horn that has a etching like that isn't period correct? Just saying

who cares...... why do you want something that every body else has. just make one that pleases you PC no such thing just because it hasn't been seen on a what ever dated gun doesn't mean that some one couldn't have thought of it and made it. case in point drawings on powder horns why do they all have to look like a 3 year old drew them? but the map horns are incredibly accurate? Audubon's drawings are incredibly lifelike so a horn that has a etching like that isn't period correct? Just saying
Complete fantasy world. :rolleyes:

Back